The Luck of the Irish

 

By JudyL

March 17, 2013

 

The Magnificent Monday Writing on VinF&D list

 

And this week's theme is...  Luck of the Irish

# No shorter than 100 words and no more than 1000 words

 

***********************

 

Vin shook his head as Ezra counted his money. “You were pretty lucky there, Ez. Thought he had you beat in that last hand.

 

Ezra looked up and grinned, his gold tooth glinting wetly. “Tis the luck of the Irish, me boyo, the luck of the Irish,” he said in a fairly good imitation of an Irish brogue.

 

Vin frowned and  looked at Josiah who was chuckling softly. “I don’t get it, he’s not Irish,” he said, hooking his thumb in Ezra’s direction. “What does the luck of the Irish have to do with it?” If it was possible, Ezra’s grin widened.

 

“Well,” Josiah said, leaning back in his chair and stretching his legs out in front of him, “the saying ‘the luck of the Irish’ refers to the notoriously bad luck that the Irish people have had throughout history. It’s meant ironically.” At the questioning raise of Vin’s eyebrows, Josiah continued. “When someone says something but means the exact opposite as a means of emphasis.”

 

Vin scowled. “Still don’t explain it. Ezra’s not Irish and he had good luck winning that game.”

 

Ezra tucked the folded bills into his inner jacket pocket and stood. “Ah, but my esteemed opponent, Mr. O’Hanrahan is most definitely Irish and is unquestionably having a very bad streak of luck,” he said with a wink and a tip of his hat before he walked away whistling.

 

The end

 

Like it? I’d love to hear from you. JudyL

 

Back to index

webhosting
webhosting