Something in the Walls

By CherylR

September 19, 2013

 

Blair winced as his shoulder twinged.  He shifted from side to side accidently moving his face further into the spray from the shower, which caused some of the shampoo to drip into his eyes. “What a day,” Blair grumbled. “I just want to get clean and go home. Not have to stay here overnight. I’m fine.”

 

He looked at the shower tiles trying to distract himself from his pain. Hey, that tile looks like it has a wolf face in it.  And that one looks like a fox.  He looked at the tiles on the other side and saw a dog, a cat, and a person.  Huh, I guess that show was right.  We really do try to see faces in everything.  He looked back at the person and saw another one, and another.  The last one was kinda scary looking.   Really scary looking. Then Blair flashed back to a different TV show and his heartbeat started to increase as he continued to further freak himself out.  Seeing more and more faces in the tile.

 

The bathroom door slammed open as Jim bounded in gun first looking for the crook that managed to sneak past him and attack his roommate.  A quick look reassured Jim that the room was empty except for Blair.  He re-holstered his gun and offered Blair a towel.  “What’s wrong?  Did you bump your arm?  I told you that I’d wash your mop if you wanted help.”

 

“No, Jim.  I didn’t hurt my arm.  Man, I totally gave myself the hebbie jeebies.  I need to get dressed and get out of here and then I’ll tell you about it.  Maybe you could, kinda stick close and leave the door cracked a bit.  And, um, maybe talk to me while I’m getting dressed, okay?”

 

“Okay, Sandburg,” Jim said calmly. “Remember, the doctor said that you may have some anxiety as a side effect from the drugs. So, do you want to hear about Samuel’s newest mix-up?” Jim said as he started the latest in the long-winded saga of the bumbling traffic cop.

 

“The drug,” Blair interrupted. “Right, right. I remember that, now,” Blair said as he walked out the door trying to dry his hair one-handed.

 

Jim removed the towel from Blair’s hand and proceeded to dry Blair’s hair for him.

 

“Do you remember watching that show on perception… about how if people see three sort of roundish shapes in a general triangle area they tend to turn them in to faces?”

 

“Vaguely. We watch a lot of nature and science stuff, Chief,” Jim said as he tossed the towel back towards the bathroom and generally herded his roommate to the hospital bed in the corner.

 

“Do you remember that episode of The Twilight Zone called ‘Something in the Walls’?” Blair asked.”

 

“Was that the creepy one with the lady in the insane asylum who had to have only solid colors around her?”

 

“Yup, that’s the one.  You put the two of those together…” Blair said.

 

“And add in some really good drugs,” Jim added.

 

“… and you get the right ingredients to freak yourself out in the hospital shower,” Blair finished.

 

Jim helped Blair settle more comfortably in bed and made sure the blankets were just right.  He then turned to sit in the chair and resume his watch.

 

Blair snuggled down and started to drift off when he noticed the ceiling tiles had textured dots in them.  Lots and lots of dots.  “Jim, I really think I’d sleep better at home.”

 

Jim looked at the ceiling and then at the wallpapered walls and pushed the call button.  “I think AMA is sounding really good right about now.”

 

“Yeah,” Blair agreed.  “Let’s do that.”

 

+++

 

“Next time you're alone, look quickly at the wallpaper, and the ceiling, and the cracks on the sidewalk. Look for the patterns and lines and faces on the wall. Look, if you can, for Sharon Miles, visible only out of the corner of your eye or... in the Twilight Zone.”

 

~~

 

The end

 

A/N:  You can blame/thank my most recent shower for this little tidbit.  Here’s the link to a synopsis of that Twilight Zone ep if you don’t remember it.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Something_in_the_Walls  and here’s the youtube of the ep (may only work in the US) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Amb01-gTTrg

 

Feedback is always appreciated. CherylR


Back to Index

webhosting
webhosting