Teamwork

By JudyL

August 21, 2011

 

Needing a plot bunny, I asked Cheryl for some help, a screen cap to base a story off of. This was the picture she sent me<G>, and the story below is what my muse came up with. Thanks Cheryl!


*******

Jim looked over his shoulder at the house across the street glad that Blair probably couldn’t see the grin he was trying to hide. “Sandburg!” he said gruffly into his comm. Blair apologized and went silent for a moment. Jim turned back to the storefront he was attempting to check out.

“I’m just saying, Jim,” Blair said, his voice not coming over the comm, but picked up by Sentinel ears.

Jim shook his head and didn’t hide his grin this time. The kid was entertaining if nothing else. Where on earth did he come up with these stories? How could one man have done so much in such a short time? Because Jim had no doubt that Blair was telling the truth, even if a slightly embellished version of it.

He split his attention between Blair’s commentary and the two men inside the store that he was watching. They were suspects in a home invasion and Jim and Blair were trying to get a bit more information in order to find solid evidence to put them away.

Jim tilted his head as he listened and Blair’s patter went silent. After a moment he shook his head and Blair started up right where he’d left off. Jim grinned and crossed the street back to the abandoned house where he’d stashed his partner for safety.

“Chief,” Jim said as he entered the house. “I find it hard to believe anyone would trust you with their virgin daughter.”

“Ah, come on, Jim. She was barely fifteen.”

“Uh huh,” Jim teased.

“Besides,” Blair added, “you don’t want to know the penalty for… um, deflowering the chief’s daughter out of wedlock.”

Jim chuckled, easily imagining the punishment from the way Blair adjusted his sitting position to protect certain parts of his anatomy. “Well, obviously you did a good job of tutoring the girl, and since you aren’t a soprano, I’ll assume you kept your hands to yourself.”

“Funny, Jim. Did you hear anything?” Blair asked, standing and gathering his coat at Jim’s gesture that they should leave.

“Nah, nothing that will help. We’ll just have to wait for the court order to check out their apartments and hope we get lucky.”

“Damn. I hate that we can’t use what you found to get them arrested,” Blair said, following Jim out to the truck.

“I doubt they’d accept body odor and an overheard snippet of conversation, Chief. But these two seem pretty cocky,” Jim said thoughtfully. “I think, if we follow them for a few days, we’ll get lucky and catch them in the act.”

“Stakeout?” Blair asked, a bit wearily. He sighed though and nodded. “Okay, it’ll give me a chance to tell you about the time…”

The end

Feedback is greatly appreciated. JudyL

Back to Index

webhosting
webhosting