The Real Sentinel by Blair Sandburg

Another SG1 and Sentinel Crossover

By CherylR

May 31, 2006

 

This is my take on what was going on behind the scenes during the TSbyBS episode.  I had planned on writing two or three stories between "But for the Grace of God" and this one, I even have the 'next' one a couple of pages deep, but it wouldn't go any where for me.

 

This one jumped out at me several times.  I kept trying to push it back down and write the others first.  It refused to go away, so I finally gave in and here is what came out of it.  I am still hoping to go back and add those other stories.  Judy suggested I add some details or back history to fill in the gaps from the other stories.  I considered it, then decided not to, mainly 'cause I'm still not a hundred percent sure what's going to happen in those other stories.  I think this one stands okay by itself.

 

Unlike "But for the Grace of God," this one is mainly TS with a few SG characters thrown in for flavor… well, and without them, the story wouldn't have worked. ;)

 

Portions in italics are from the actual episode. Many thanks go to Becky's Sentinel Transcripts site, http://www.kelesa.net/transcripts/index.htm.  This was tons easier to do since I didn't have to do the transcript myself.  I made minor changes to the transcript, mostly for flow.

 

And before I forget… eternal thanks to Judy.  This story is much better (and longer) because of her input.  Any leftover mistake are still mine, they're about the only thing that I can truly claim.  Enjoy.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Morning, Rainier University, Hargrove Hall

 

Ring. Ring

 

The ringing of his cell phone barely registered as Blair tried to decide on the exact wording he wanted to convey the emotion, as well as the dry facts he needed to get his point across. "Humanity has long dug into its past in the hope that it will shed light on its future. Perhaps what this reveals is that it is the best of ourselves that will survive and lead us through the next millennium."  Hmm, not bad.  Needs some tightening up.  But, overall, not bad.  Blair stretched and realized his phone was ringing.

 

"Hello."

 

Static made it hard to hear the voice on the other end. "Blair?  Blair, is that you?  We must have a bad connection.  Can you call me back?"

 

Oh Shit!  "Sure, man.  I'm in my office and sometimes the reception is bad here. Let me get to a better spot and I'll call you back.  Give me about ten or fifteen minutes.  I was in the middle of something here."

 

"No problem, son.  I'll be waiting," said the kindly, male voice.

 

Blair saved his document and shut down his laptop.  He shoved the laptop in his backpack and did a quick check to be sure the items from his 'other life' were still tucked inside the inner pocket.  He made a quick sweep of his office, looking for anything he might need later, and then left for a more secure location.

 

----

 

Ten minutes later, he leaned back against a solitary old oak tree in the middle of the quad.  He attached a scrambler to his cell phone and then turned on a white noise generator for added safety.  He dialed the number from memory.  Blair took a deep breath to try to settle his suddenly nervous stomach, and hit the send button.  "Blair Sandburg for General Hammond," he said to the voice on the other line.

 

After a few minutes on hold, General Hammond came on the line.  "Captain Sandburg, we have a situation," Hammond began without preamble.

 

"Yes, Sir, so I gathered.  How can I help?"

 

"We have just found out that a reporter for one of those weekly periodicals is going to break a story about the SGC.  She is listing you as her 'expert' and has quoted a large section of your last report as 'proof' of her story."

 

"Sir, I would never…" Blair started.

 

"Relax, son.  I know you aren't the leak.  Your integrity was never in question.  But since we can't 'stop the presses,' our problem now is mitigating the damage from the fallout. We have about five days to come up with and implement a plan."

 

"You're going to have to publicly discredit me," Blair stated.

 

"Son, I think we can come up with some better way of…"

 

"You said you couldn't stop it from being printed.  The only way to protect the SGC is to discredit the source she is basing her information on… me."  Blair hesitated for a moment then said, "I've got an idea that might work.  Is Daniel on the base?  I could use his input on this."

 

"SG1 is in the briefing room right now.  They are trying to come up with some possible solutions to this problem.  I’ll transfer you over there and we can run some scenarios by the whole team.  One other thing, we also discovered you are being monitored.  Phone taps and bugs, in your office, at home, and at the police station.  It looks like they've only been in place for the last few days.  I'm not sure by whom, yet.  I will keep you posted."  General Hammond put the phone call on hold and moved to the briefing room.

 

Great, just what I need on top of everything else.  The phone was picked up by Daniel Jackson.  "Hey, Danny," Blair took a deep breath, "here's what I'm thinking…"

 

----

 

Mid-morning, Cascade Police Department, Major Crime Unit

 

I can do this.  I can do this.  I can… "Henri, my man.  How's it hanging?  Rafe.  Jim. Hey guys, why all the long faces."

 

"We got farmed out for a security detail," Jim grumbled, then gave his partner a searching looking.

 

"Right, right I forgot about that.  So do you have time for some lunch first?  My treat," Blair said with a smile.

 

"Lunch is good," Jim stated.  "As long as I get to pick the place.  I don't want to go to some froufrou place that only serves weeds."

 

Henri chuckled and slapped Blair on the back.  "He's got your number, Hairboy.  Enjoy your lunch."

 

"The hotdog stand okay?  It's a nice day," Blair suggested.

 

"Sounds good to me," Jim agreed as he tried to figure out what was going on with his partner.

 

"Not now," Blair sub-vocalized while they were waiting for the elevator.

 

Jim blinked in acknowledgement and started to grouse about their current babysitting assignment.

 

----

 

Lunchtime, the Park near the Central Police Station

 

"So I guess we're going to move to Colorado and start working full time with the SGC," Jim said after Blair finished giving him the rundown.  He absently gave a stray dog the rest of his lunch.

 

"Jim," Blair sputtered, "you didn't want to leave Cascade yet.  I thought… maybe in a few more years…"

 

"We aren't going to be able to stay after this," Jim said matter-of-factly.  "Both of us will be out of a job by the end of the week."

 

"But, but… Crap, I just thought…"

 

"Relax, Chief.  It's a good idea.  It should work just fine.  But, what about your real diss?" Jim asked.

 

"I’m sure that when things die down, I can turn it in somewhere… maybe Danny will have an idea.  We have to do this man… we have to fix the fact that somehow, someone is using me to leak information," Blair said earnestly.

 

"Calm down.  I agree with you," Jim said.  "I just want to make sure the sword you're going to fall on isn't going to stay permanently impaled."

 

"Thanks, big guy.  I better go home and polish up the Sentinel diss.  Man, after everything that's happened, that is one paper I never thought I'd ever attempt to get published."

 

Jim gave Blair a reassuring pat on the back.  "It will all work out.  Have faith."

 

"I do.  I will.  Just remember the bugs.  Maybe we need to pull out the secret decoder rings after all," Blair said with a smirk.

 

Jim whapped Blair on the back of the head.  "That's the spirit.  Come on, I'll drop you off at the loft."

 

---

 

Afternoon, Prospect Street

 

Blair started toward the main doors of 852 Prospect Street, when he noticed his mother coming toward him.  Oh crap!  She has lousy timing.  No, wait.  I can make this work.  "Hey Mom," Blair gave Naomi a hug and a kiss.  "How about some coffee?"  He turned and steered her down the street to the local coffee shop.  "So Mom, do you still have the phone number of that slimy publisher from New York?"

 

----

 

Mid-afternoon, the Loft

 

Blair was sitting at the dining room table when Naomi came up behind him, and wrapped her arms around him.  "Sweetheart."

 

"Mom," Blair said as he stood.

 

"Hi, honey."

 

"Hi, Mom.  What are you doing here?" Blair asked as he gave his mom a hug.

 

"Oh, I'm visiting my favorite son."

 

"Your favorite son?"

 

"Mm-hmm."

 

" I'm your only son, right?"

 

"Mm-hmm," she agreed.

 

"Mm-hmm," he echoed.

 

----

 

Evening, Cascade Police Department, Simon Banks' office

 

Simon frowned and said, "we're dealing with our old friend Klaus Zeller a.k.a. "The Iceman." And until he's apprehended, there will be no days off and no one sleeps."

Megan finished her report.  "When we got to the sniper's position, all we found was the shattered scope."

 

Simon handed out some papers. "Take a look at these. It's all the information we have on the death threats to Jack Bartley. See if we can use them to track whoever hired this hit man. Now, for those of you who don't know, Zeller was apprehended by Detective Ellison..."

 

Blair cleared his throat.

 

"...along with some help from our favorite observer, Blair Sandburg," Simon added dryly, then continued "for several murders and the attempted murder of a university student. Now he was rotting very nicely in a German prison outside of Munich until he managed to pay off a judge. Further word of caution -- Zeller is also wanted for the murders of several Interpol agents and a Scotland Yard Investigator. He has a nasty habit of targeting his pursuers, Jim."

 

Knock. Knock.

 

"Come on," Simon yelled.

 

Rafe entered.  "Blair, you've got an urgent phone call. Line two."

 

Blair saluted Simon. "I'm sorry. Sorry."  He looked at Rafe.   "Who is it?"

 

"Some guy named Sid Graham," Rafe said.

 

----

 

Later the same evening, Inside Jim's truck

 

"I can't believe it.  What are the odds… first Mom comes to town, and then we have Zeller after that creep Bartley?"

 

"It will work out," Jim said reassuringly.

 

"I just don't like getting my mom involved with this stuff.  I mean, she's just starting to get comfortable with me being back in the military on a part time basis… and now this," Blair sulked.

 

"Well, at least she made it easy to get the Sentinel diss out to the media," Jim said.

 

"There is that," Blair huffed.  "The publisher has already called and offered me one hundred thousand dollars for it."

 

"Did you turn him down?"

 

"Yeah, I did.  After talking to him, I wanted to take a shower to wash off some of the slime."

 

"He should be calling back soon to up his offer."  Jim pulled into his usual parking space near the loft. "We're home."  He patted Blair on the shoulder.  "Let the games begin."

 

----

 

The next morning, outside 852 Prospect Street

 

Reporters start to run up to Jim and Blair as they are getting into the truck.

 

"That taller one -- that's got to be the sentinel!" the male reporter exclaimed.

 

"Let's get the cameras in here!" a woman reporter said urgently.

 

Jim looked startled as he started to put the key in the ignition.  "Did I just hear..."

 

Reporters converge on both sides of the truck, sticking microphones and cameras through the windows.

 

"Ellison, can you tell us why you decided to reveal your abilities at this time, sir?"

 

"My abilities?" Jim asked stunned.

 

"How will the publication of Mr. Sandburg's manuscript affect your work with the police department?" another asked.

 

"Chief, tell me you didn't," Jim begged.

 

"No, no. I didn't do anything. Look, there must be some mistake here. I don't know where you got your information from... " Blair said.

 

"Your publisher sent us excerpts from the manuscript."

 

"My what?" Blair exclaimed.  "I don't have a publisher."

 

"Let's hear it from the sentinel himself."

 

"I have no idea what you're talking about. Now, get that out of here, and back off before someone loses a toe." Jim fired up the truck preparing to leave.

 

"Jim, I can explain."

 

"Chief, do not say anything right now," Jim warned.

 

----

 

Later the same day. Jim's truck on the way to Bartley's office.

 

"Wake up Blair, we're almost to the docks," Jim said as he looked in his rear-view mirror.

 

"Sorry, man.  I didn't sleep very well last night.  I kept worrying about what could go wrong.  Are you doing okay with all the cameras?"

 

"I'm doing okay, so far.  We'll just have to play it by ear."  Jim glanced behind him again.  "Heads up.  We seem to have picked up a tail," Jim parked in the lot near Bartley's office, "… and they seem to have a parabolic microphone," he finished as he saw a tall, blonde woman gesture to the man setting up the equipment beside her.  "Here we go again."

 

Blair asked worriedly, "Why aren't you saying anything?"

 

"There's nothing to say, Chief. It's all been said. It's out. It's over. There's no going back. I just thought we had an agreement that I was going to read your thesis first."

 

"We did," Blair agreed.  "Look, I didn't do this."

 

"Right. You didn't write the book and you didn't put my name all over it."

 

"Well, of course I did, but I was planning on changing your name and probably even mine to protect you. I just hadn't figured out a way to do that without compromising the documentation."

 

"You said this Sid is throwing a lot of money in your face, right?" Jim asked.

 

"Yeah," Blair agreed cautiously.

 

"All right, just to generate publicity for the sake of generating publicity without even having a deal because he wants to, what toss it, uh, in your face, like a dangling carrot?"

 

"Wait a minute, wait a minute. Stop. What are you trying to say, I was part of this from the start? You think that's what I'm about?"

 

"Why didn't you say anything about this last night? It just looks like guilty conscience to me;" Jim stated.

 

"I thought it was over. My mom was doing what she thought was right. She didn't know what it was about."

 

"How the hell did your mother get her hands on this?" Jim demanded. "It was lying around like coffee-table reading?"

 

"No, look, don't you try to run some interrogation on me. You're not going to find some weak spot in me, all right? Look, I'm not a perp. I'm your friend."

 

"Chief, you got a great opportunity here. It's a once-in-a-lifetime play. Go for the brass ring. Good luck, huh?" he said as he walked off.

 

----

 

Same day, Rainier University, Chancellor's office.

 

Blair nervously stated, "I know that this, uh, situation about my thesis has got to be really embarrassing for the university..."

 

"That's why we asked you here," the chancellor said, "but we couldn't be more proud of your accomplishments.  We only wish you had given us a chance to read it first," the chancellor pushed the intercom button.  "Please send them in."

 

Sid, Naomi, and a reporting crew entered.

 

"Sid, you can't go through with this," Naomi said.

 

"We're on a roll, Naomi."

 

"Sid, I don't want you to until..." Naomi trailed of when Blair walked up to her.

 

"Mom, wh-what's going?"

 

"Uh, uh... Blair, this is Sid Graham. He flew all the way from New York. I wanted him to meet with you alone first but he..."

 

"Blair, I'm determined to publish your book. I can now offer one million dollars from Berkshire Publishing and I've already had inquiries from several studios for the movie rights," Sid stated firmly.

 

"A movie, that's, uh, that's incredible." Blair stuttered.

 

"There's more, but I agreed to let the TV crew handle that."

 

The reporter picked up the cue.  "We've been informed that due to the efforts of your mother Naomi, the Nobel Prize committee is considering your research for its science award."

 

"Nobel, that's, uh, that's unbelievable. Excuse me. Mom?"

 

"Uh..." the reporter was confused with how the interview was going.

 

Blair drew Naomi aside.   "Mom, this is "doing nothing"?"

 

"I-I did this before you told me not to do anything and, then, all I did was...I talked to Lars when he called."

 

"Lars?" Blair asked in confusion.  "Who's Lars?"

 

"Lars. Lars. He's the masseur for one of the members of the committee. I asked him only to slip... "

 

"Mom, stop, please. Please, I can't hear anymore. Stop."

 

The reporter tried to retake control of the interview.  "Would you say you're overwhelmed?"

 

"Uh... is this live?" Blair asked.

 

"No, we're recording for the 11:00 tonight."

 

"I have nothing to say."

 

"But... " the reporter trailed off confused.

 

"Blair, Blair, I...Oh, I'm sorry."  Blair left and Naomi chased after him.

 

"Uh, apparently all this unexpected attention and acclaim has left this graduate student speechless," the reporter stated.

 

----

 

"I'll give you a ride back to the loft, but I don't want to talk right now," Blair stated.

 

"But, Sweetie…" Naomi started.

 

"Not a word, Naomi, or I swear I'll drop you off at the nearest bus stop," Blair growled as he opened the car door for her.  He then rounded the back of his car and shot a casual look over his shoulder before getting in.  He placed his backpack on his lap and unzipped the middle compartment.  He glanced over at his mom and said, "So, what will it be?"

 

"I hear you, Sweetie.  You need some time to process everything, and then we can talk."

 

"Thank you," he said.  He flipped a switch on a small box inside his backpack with his left hand, while he simultaneously started the car with his right.  He placed the backpack on the floor behind him and gave Naomi's hand a reassuring squeeze.

 

A few minutes later he said, "We should be fine now.  If they are still following us, they shouldn't be able to hear anything.  Are you doing okay?  Is Sid pressuring you?" Blair asked, concerned for his mother's feelings.

 

"Everything is fine, honey.  It's feels a bit strange to be digging out my hippy past again, but overall I think your plan is working well.  I'd forgotten how much of a sleaze-ball Sid can be.  I'm so glad he is going to get his comeuppance soon.  Talk about karmic justice," she said with a laugh.

 

----

 

A short time later, Cascade Police Department, Major Crime bullpen.

 

Brown runs over to Jim.  "Hey, Jim, my wife's having lunch with the ladies across town. I wonder if you could put your ear out and tell me what they're saying about me."

 

"Yeah, she says your car's too small for her garage," Jim said.

 

Rafe stops him as Jim heads to his desk.   "Hey-hey, Jim, Jim, uh, when are you going to start wearing, uh, tights and a cape?"

 

"Uh... I don't know. You got some I can borrow, Peter Pan?"

 

Joel came over as Jim sat down at his desk. "Come on, Jim, why don't you have a sense of humor about this whole thing?"

 

"Joel... let's just let it go. Give it a rest."

 

"Why keep it from us? Tell us what's going on," Joel said.

 

"I-I-I got some work to do, okay? Could you excuse me?"

 

"Sorry. Okay, buddy," Joel said backing off.

 

Blair walked in.

 

"Hey, Sandburg," H started off another round of teasing.  "Who's playing you on the sentinel TV show? I know, Adam Sandler?"

 

"Listen, I hear Denzel is playing me," Joel added.

 

"There isn't going to be a TV show, all right?" Blair said, his voice a little shaky.

 

"Just a Nobel prize," Rafe stated.

 

Everyone in the bullpen starts bowing down. At his desk, Jim just folds his hands together and looks away.

 

The whole group started chanting, "We're not worthy. We're not worthy. We're not worthy. We're not worthy."

 

Blair left as Simon came out of his office.

 

----

 

Later, Jim's truck on the way to Bartley's office

 

"Are you okay?" Blair asked worriedly.  "I think the guys are getting a little carried away."

 

"I thought Rafe's joke about the tights was a good one," Jim smirked.  "They’re just blowing off steam.  I'm really going to miss working with them."

 

"What about Simon?  I didn't think the brass would be in his face about this.  It's gotten a lot more out of control than I thought.  Geesh, remind me to tell you about the stuff at Rainier," Blair said with an eye roll.

 

"General Hammond is going to clear up any problems Simon may have, after we leave.  Relax, we've documented all of our cases.  Everyone is covered and the bad guys will stay in jail," Jim stated firmly.

 

"I think we need to plan another get together with the gang.  Make sure everyone is still doing okay and work through some ideas for the next few days.  I wish we could get rid of the bugs, this would be a lot easier if we didn't have to figure out good meeting places on top of everything else," Blair said with a sigh.

 

"We just have to hang in there for a few more days… and catch Zeller," Jim grumbled.

 

"I just never thought it would turn in to such a circus.  Are sure you're doing okay?" Blair asked looking closely at his partner.

 

"I'm fine.  Really," Jim reassured.  "I'm having a bit of trouble with the flash bulbs," he added, trying to be totally honest.

 

"Can't you just dial it down?" Blair asked and then answered his own question.  "No, 'cause then you couldn't spot Zeller.  Damn, have you tried… no that won't work."

 

"Chief."

 

What about… crap that won't work either." Blair wrinkled his brow in concentration.

 

"Chief."

 

"How 'bout…"

 

"BLAIR!"

 

"What?"

 

"We're here.  We'll have to figure it out later."  Jim started to get out of the truck, then stopped.  "Be very careful, Blair.  I don't want you to get hurt."

 

"Same here buddy."

 

Inside the building Jim and Simon were getting ready for the press conference.  Jim put in an earpiece.

 

Simon keyed up the radio.  "All positions report."

 

"You need that thing?" Bartley asked Jim.

 

"I can't pull radio waves out of thin air, Mr. Bartley."

 

"Can you really do all that stuff -- the hearing, seeing, smelling thing? Must be a trip," Bartley stated.

 

"Why ask me?" Jim growled. "Ask Sandburg -- he's the expert."

 

----

 

The next morning, Cascade Police Department Simon Banks' office

 

"Oh, sir, no," Simon said into the phone.  "There was never any intention of keeping this from you. I was merely... That's right. A full report on your desk tomorrow morning. I'd just like to say that... Right."  He hung up the phone.  "That was our boss. Thinks I kept the sentinel thing a secret."

 

"Well, Captain, in actuality, you did," Jim said.

 

"You're not helping," Simon grumbled.

 

"Yes, sir."

 

"What are we going to do, Jim? By tomorrow morning, I have to have a full report on his desk and I don't know what I'm going to report. You know what this means? Every single case that you worked on is going to be brought up for review. That means the board of inquiry. I.A.'s going to get involved."

 

"Captain, before we hear back from the review board or the brass tells us to go pack our bags, I'd like to go back to things the way they were before Sandburg, when I worked alone."

 

"You talk to Blair about this?" Simon asked doubtfully.

 

"It's not his call, Captain. This is my decision. His ride is over. I want to go back to being a cop, just a regular cop. And with this sentinel thing hanging over us, it's always right there and I...I'm tired of it. I just want out."

 

"Well, maybe that's for the best.”  Simon stood up and moved around desk to stand with Jim.  "I got this picture back from the rally. Take a look. You were that close until your paparazzi got in the way."

 

A bullet from Zeller's gun missed Jim as he leaned over to look at the picture.  The bullet flew over Jim's back, straight through Simon's torso, through the window of Simon's office, and through Megan's shoulder before landing in the door frame, missing Blair by inches.

 

Megan and Simon both collapse to the ground.  Blair ran over to Megan, while Jim checked on Simon.

 

"Captain! Medic!" Jim yelled.  "Medic! Just keep breathing. Come on. Relax."

 

Joel entered Simon's office.  "Oh, my god."

 

“Everybody, stay calm," Jim demanded.  "Just relax."

 

Blair held a hand over Megan's wound and yelled, "Get a doctor, quick!"

 

"Sandy..." Megan trailed off.

 

Jim commanded Simon, "Squeeze my hand, come on."

 

----

 

A few hours later, Jim's truck on the way to Cascade General Hospital

 

Ohmygod!  Jim, no one was supposed to get hurt.  What if…"

 

"Chief, it's not your fault."

 

"But…"

 

"Did you take a titanium alloy teflon coated bullet and shoot Simon or Megan?"

 

"NO!  Of course not, but…"

 

"It's not your fault," Jim stated firmly, trying to reassure himself of the same fact.

 

Blair sighed.  "No one was supposed to get hurt."

 

"No one is ever supposed to get hurt, but sometimes it happens any way.  We're here.  Let's go see how they're doing," Jim stopped and frowned.  "Our tail is back."

 

"Oh God.  I just want this to be over with.  It's gotten out of control."

 

Jim straightened to his full, imposing height.  "Then let's end it.  We'll move the time table up and have the press conference tomorrow."  He looked over at his worried partner.  "Are you ready?"

 

"Yeah, let's get it over with."

 

----

 

Rainier University, Press Room

 

Blair approached the microphone. "Hi. Thank you all for coming. I just have a short speech prepared here. Um... In our media-informed culture, a scientist receives validation by having his or her work published and after years of research there is great personal satisfaction when that goal is reached. However, my desire to impress both my peers and the world at large drove me to an immoral and unethical act. My thesis "The Sentinel" is a fraud. (Jim's mouth drops open slightly.) While my paper does quote ancient source material, the documentation proving that James Ellison...actually possesses hyper-senses is fraudulent. Looking back, I can say that it's a good piece of fiction. I apologize for this deception. My only hope is that I can be forgiven for the pain I've caused those that are close to me. Thank you." Blair finished and walked away.

 

----

 

At the same time, The Factoid Paper

 

Julia Donovan sat at her desk gloating.  The awards should be piling up soon.  I wonder how many offers I'll get for better jobs?  I can't wait to start getting all the recognition that I deserve.  She straightened smugly as her editor walked into the room.

 

"Have you seen the latest coming over the wire about your source?" her editor demanded.

 

"No," she said.  What the hell?

 

"He just declared himself a fraud… ON NATIONAL TV!  Your article has been scrapped.  I'm running a piece on Michael Jackson's love child in its place."  He turned and left.

 

"You can't do this to me," she fumed.  "Just wait.  I’ll figure out some other way to expose the SGC to the public… and I'll get my Pulitzer too.  Just see if I don't.  I think it's time to find a new job… maybe television would be a better choice."

 

----

 

A short time later, Rainier University, Jack Kelso's Office

 

Blair ducked into Jack Kelso's office after a quick check to make sure he hadn't been followed.  "Man," he gasped.  "I had no idea things would get so crazy."  He watched as Jack started up his own set of 'safety measures' before saying anything else.  "I can't tell you enough how much your help means to us."

 

"It's not a problem, Blair.  The last thing we need right now is a bunch of your friends getting up in arms about how everything has been handled.  I've already fielded calls from several of them and they’ve decided to let me take care of things, covertly," Kelso said with a smirk.

 

----

 

Cascade Police Department, Simon Banks' office

 

Joel walked in and saw Blair.  "Hey, Blair, what you up to, man?"

 

"I'm taking a last look around."

 

"Last look?" Joel said.  "You going somewhere?"

 

"Well, yeah. I cleaned out my desk over at Rainier. I thought I'd do the same thing here. I'm a fraud, man. I don't think Simon's going to want me hanging around."

 

The rest of the gang entered the bullpen. Rafe was pushing Simon in a wheelchair.   H, Jim, Naomi, and Megan followed.

 

"Sandburg, that is not your office," Simon stated at about half his normal bellow.

 

"Hey, Simon, they let you out?" Blair asked.

 

Blair and Joel came out of Simon's office and into the main area.

 

"Nah," Jim smirked, "they threw him out."

 

"They didn't throw me out. They said I was too cantankerous."

 

"You? No." Jim stated as he pinched Simon's cheek.

 

"Mom, what are you doing here?" Blair asked.

 

"I'd never miss this occasion, darling," Naomi stated.

 

"Know what's great -- everybody's safe and out and happy."
 

"That's not exactly why we asked your mom here," Simon said.  "I understand you gave up your job at the university and I saw you over there in my office. So we decided you needed to do something to keep you under control."

 

"You're, uh, you're finished in this department, Chief..." Jim stated seriously.

 

"Yeah well, I-I sort of...well, I figured that."

 

"...as an observer," Jim finished as he tossed Blair a wallet.

 

Blair opened the billfold.  "This is, uh... what is this? This is a detective badge. What's going on? I don't deserve this."

 

Simon took the billfold from Blair.  "No, you don't," he stated, "at least not until you go to the Police Academy and complete firearms training. And if you do, Detective Ellison is looking for a permanent official partner."

 

Jim limped over to stand next to Blair.

 

"Uh... yeah? So, uh...does this mean a paycheck?" Blair asked.

 

"Can you say "back rent"? Come on, what do you say?" Jim asked.

 

"Say something, Sandy." Megan prodded.

 

"I'm still not cutting my hair." Blair said.

 

Jim chuckled.  "Ho-ho-ho."

 

"I'm not going to do it," he reiterated firmly.

 

"That's what you think," Jim said as he hauled Blair over to him with his cane,  put him in  a headlock, and gave him a noogie.  "They're going to love you at the Academy. Captain, I'm going to make a little Blairskin rug for you here..."

 

"You're not going to scalp me! Forget it!" Blair stated.

 

"We got to go down to the woods…" Simon said.

 

----

 

Later, the Park near the Loft

 

"So we're not being followed any more, right?" Blair asked Sentinel soft.

 

Jim took another look and listen around before he gave Blair the all clear.  "Nope, seems we're too boring to bother following now."

 

"How much longer do you think it will be before the bugs are gone?" Blair asked.

 

"Simon is going to give them a week after we leave and then call in an exterminator," Jim said.

 

Blair flipped the shield open and closed.  "They know I can't take this, right?"

 

"They know.  I think they just wanted you to know how much they appreciate everything you've done for them in the past." Jim stepped wrong and pain went shooting up and down his leg.

 

Blair grabbed Jim and led him to a nearby bench.  "Are you okay?"

 

"I will be," Jim stated, answering all the permutation of the question.  "How 'bout you?"

 

Blair drew in a deep breath and let it out.  "I'm sad that the roller coaster ride is coming to an end.  I'm really going to miss everyone here. But…"

 

"But," Jim said with a smile.  "Let's go jump on the tilt-a-whirl.  General Hammond is expecting us in Colorado no later than Monday."

 

Blair looked at his partner and grinned.  "Bring it on."

 

The end.

 

 

 

Feedback is greatly appreciated. Cheryl

 

Back

webhosting
webhosting