So this is Christmas

 

By CherylR

 

December 16, 2004

 

'K, here we go. Here is your Official CT Christmas Story Challenge List O'Things - have fun!

 

1. Reindeer 2. Stocking cap with poofy<?> ball on the end. 3. Ice skates 4. Christmas Tree. 5.No turkey, no stuffing, no traditional food (mention of this made in story) 6. Current or recent movie (you choose -- just one you can make comments about or talk about in conversation) 7. Remote Control for whatever device you choose 8. An oddly placed Fourth of July decoration 9. Naomi should appear, by mention or real appearance. Doesn't matter. 10.  Elves. There should be elves. (I like elves. I also like hobbits, but that's another story, and I figure I *can* work elves into Christmas, whereas hobbits might be difficult. <g>)

 

These stories can be humor, hurt/comfort, smarm -- whatever that tickles your fancy as long as it's gen. It would be lovely to have them by Christmas, New Years would also be fine but let's set a last day as January 6th. ("On the 12th day of Christmas" etc etc etc.)

 

I hope you all enjoy -- and forgive me for being a bit late in getting this out!

 

Angie

 

Okay Angie, Here's what I came up with.

 

The title comes from the first line of John Lennon's song Happy Christmas. The lyrics are down at the bottom of the story for anyone interested.  For some reason, that song was playing in my head as I started writing this story.  The song doesn't appear in any way, shape, or form in the story… just the title.

 

Thanks always to my wonderful beta, Judy.  I put a present under the tree for you.  I even wrapped him up nice.  Sorry, no bow.  Maybe next time <G>

 

Enjoy!

 

~~~~~

 

"Man, oh man… I can't wait."  Blair fidgeted in place then bounced up and down on his toes.

 

"Well Chief, what I can't believe is that you talked me into standing in line for this," Jim grumbled.  "We just got finished with that stake out and instead of being at home in bed,” Jim waved his hand at the crowd around them, “I'm standing in line with a bunch of people with pointy ears and wearing pajamas."

 

"Come on Jim, they're not wearing pajamas.  Those are costumes."  He trailed off as a scantily clad woman passed by.  Blair turned his head to continue watching the show. 

 

Jim bopped him on the back of the head.  "Sandburg, she was wearing a beard!"

 

"Relax man, she's a dwarf.  Male and female dwarfs often wear beards."  Blair let loose an appreciative whistle.  "Now that's an elf.  I wonder if she's a model?"   He started to move after the woman when he was jerked back into line by his partner.

 

"You are staying here," Jim growled.  "We are going to get your movie and then we are going home so that I can get some sleep.  If you're good, maybe I'll let you watch your movie later."

"If I'm good!" Blair sputtered. "It's my movie and my DVD player."

 

"That's right…" Jim trailed off as he stared down at the young child a few feet in front of him.  "What is that supposed to be?"

 

"That's a hobbit.  The hairy feet are normal.  What a great costume."  Blair was going to continue, but the doors to the store opened.  Jim quickly grabbed a hold of Blair's belt so that he wouldn't loose the smaller man in the mob of people swarming toward the door.

 

~~~~

 

"That was so cool," Blair enthused as he hung up his coat and dropped down onto the couch putting the bag on the cushion next to him.

 

"Yeah, whatever," Jim said as he peeled off his coat and headed for the bathroom.  "I hear the shower calling my name."

 

"You hear the shower?" Blair smirked.  "Sounds like something that needs to be tested."

 

"Sandburg!"

 

"Just kidding man," Blair chuckled. "Boy, you really do need some sleep."  Blair looked over at the other item they had brought home.  "I can't believe you won a sword."

 

Jim came out of the bathroom belting his robe. "I can't believe they expected to take pictures of me swinging the thing around."

 

"Come on Jim.  It wouldn't have hurt you to put on the costume and swing the sword.  You have the physique for it.  Didn't you take Sword-swinging 101 in the Army?"

 

"Wrong branch of the military, sport."  Jim glanced over at the sword then around the room.  "It is kinda cool.  Maybe we could find a place to hang it up around here."

 

"See, that's the spirit.  Why don't we find a strategic spot for it and then the next time the bad guys come…" Blair jumped off the couch at assumed a classic fencing pose.  "Pow!  You let them have it."

 

Jim looked at his roommate's pose and smirked.  "Chief, I hate to burst your bubble, but you need a foil for that pose, not a sword.  Need to watch your movie and take notes."

 

Blair stuck his tongue out at Jim and flopped back down on the couch.  "You said I couldn't watch it yet."

 

"Let me sleep for a while first and then you can watch all the sword fights you want to."

 

Blair glanced down at his movie and then over at his obviously tired and drooping friend.  "Deal."

 

~~~~~~

 

 (Ring.  Ring.)

 

"ello."

 

"Who is this?  Sandburg is that you?" Captain Banks growled.

 

"Um, think so."  Blair sat up and scrubbed at his face with his free hand.  Musta fallen asleep on the couch.  Man, my neck hurts.

 

"Is Jim there?" Banks asked.

 

"Um, think so." Blair yawned.

 

"Well… go get him."

 

"Okay."  Blair put down the phone and started muttering as he slowly climbed the stairs.  "Get Jim.  Gotta get Jim.  Hey Jim, you awake?"

 

Jim pushed up his sleep mask and turned off the white noise generator.  "I am now, what do you want?"

 

Blair sat down on the foot of the bed and yawned.  "Don't 'member."

 

Jim glared at his partner and then focused his senses to check out the loft.  No one inside the loft but us.  No one outside the door.  What?  Wait… Simon?  The phone.  "Sandburg, is Simon on the phone?"

 

Blair opened one of his eyes and struggled to concentrate.  "Maybe?  Think so."  He then slumped over onto Jim's bed and fell back asleep.

 

Ellison got out of bed, grabbed an extra blanket from the closet to cover up his snoring roommate and went downstairs to talk to his irate boss.   "Hey Simon, what's up?"

 

"Took you long enough." Simon grumbled.

 

"Sorry Simon," Jim said with a yawn sinking down onto the couch.  "Only had a couple of hours of sleep."

 

"Oh right, I forgot you pulled the Cameron stake out last night.  How'd it go?"

 

"About like usual for us, sir." Jim said.

 

"I haven't looked at the ER reports from last night." Papers rustled in the background as Simon grabbed a file.

 

"No sir," Jim reassured, "not that usual one.  The other one where absolutely nothing happens except Sandburg talking my ear off about some strange habits of a tribe I've never heard of, or could care less about."

 

"Oh," Simon sighed in relief.  "Well the reason I called is that I need the two of you to go on a prisoner transfer."

 

"Simon," Jim complained as he looked over at the still bare Christmas tree near the window.

 

"Sorry Jim, it's your turn on the rotation.  I almost hate to say this," Simon continued, "but it should be an easy transfer.  Just drop the guy off and turn around and come home.  Shouldn't take more than a day, two at the most."

 

"Simon, why did you just jinx us like that," Jim tried not to whine.  "Okay, okay.  Who, when and where?"

 

"Joe Sanchez.  He is supposed to be back in Houston by tomorrow night.  Your flight arrangements have already been made.  Come in tomorrow morning and get the paperwork squared away.  You have an eleven o'clock departure time.  Enjoy the rest of your day off," Simon commiserated before he hung up the phone.

 

"Well hell," Jim cursed.  "I hate prisoner transfers."  Jim put the phone up then muttered.  "I'm going back to bed.  Maybe this will all turn out to be a bad dream."  He trudged up the stairs.  Just as he cleared the top stair, he remembered the fuzzy lump at the end of his bed.

 

"Sandburg!  Get up and go to bed.  Your bed," Jim commanded.

 

The lump didn't move.  The snoring increased in volume.

 

Jim glared at the lump and considered his options.  "I'm too tired to deal with this."  He poked at the lump then grabbed a handful of covers and Sandburg.  Jim tugged until the lump was less lump-like and more of a straight line.  "Now I have room for me in MY bed."  He glared at his roommate again then made sure that Blair was completely tucked in with the blankets.  "Now I can try to get some more sleep."

 

~~~~~

 

Blair whined as he continued to hang ornaments on the tree.  "Why us?"

 

Jim handed his partner another ornament.  "It's our turn."

 

"But it's almost Christmas."  Blair hung the police car on the tree next to the reindeer ornament.

 

"I know, I know.  Don't you think I told him that?  At least I think I did.  Anyway, with good luck," Jim stressed, "we should still be back home in time to have Christmas with the gang."

 

Blair snorted.

 

"Hey," Jim exclaimed.  "What's a package of sparklers and flags doing inside the Christmas ornament box?"

 

Blair walked over to his partner and grabbed the bag.  "That's where they went!  I was looking all over for that bag last July.  Wonder how they got there?"

 

"The Sandburg zone strikes again," Jim muttered.

 

"What?" Blair glared.

 

"What?" Jim responded innocently.

 

(Ring.)

 

Saved by the bell.  "I'll get it," Jim stated.  "You go straighten the star.  It looks crooked."  Jim grabbed the phone. "Hello."

 

"Straighten the star," Blair grumbled.  "I'll straighten you Ellison."

 

"Naomi, what a pleasant surprise.  Where are you?" Jim asked.

 

"Hi Jim, I'm visiting family in Houston for the holidays," Naomi replied.

 

"Really?" Jim asked incredulously.

 

"Yes," Naomi replied.  "I have several cousins and we try to get together…"

 

Jim froze as he was swept up into a typical Naomi conversation.  He tried not to laugh. He tried really hard.  He took several deep breaths, and when that didn't work he leaned over the counter and just tried to hang on until she wound down.  Don't laugh.  She wouldn't understand.

 

Blair hadn't been concerned by the lack of conversation from Jim's side of the phone call.  He knew Jim tolerated Naomi only for Blair's sake.  He grew concerned though when he looked over at his partner and saw Jim bending over the counter with his shoulders shaking.  What the… "Jim?" Blair went over and leaned over the counter to get a look at his partner.  "What's wrong?"

 

Jim couldn't get his breath, but was still trying to suppress the laughter.

 

Blair cocked his head at his partner.  "?"

 

"Naomi," Jim gasped breathlessly, "is in Houston."

 

Blair smiled then grabbed the phone. "Hey, Mom, you'll never guess where…"

 

~~~~~~

 

Blair bounced in place.  "So after we drop the guy off, we're going to meet Naomi at one of the malls.  It's called the Galleria."

 

"Hairboy," H sputtered, "that's only the biggest mall in Houston.  How are you going to find her?"

 

"It shouldn't be a problem.  We're going to meet in the middle near the ice rink.  I just have to look for her.  She said that she was going to be wearing a cap with a poofy ball on it.  Shouldn't be a problem."

 

Rafe joined H in the laughter.  "No problem.  I mean no one wears stocking caps this time of year."

 

"Nope, not in Houston.  Not normally," H agreed.  "But, they do wear hats this time of year. Especially ones with a poofy ball on the end.  Wait let me guess… it's red isn't it? Felt?"

 

"Well, yeah." Blair replied as understanding dawned.  "But, but… oh. Well, Jim should be able to help."

 

Jim walked up and smirked at his partner.  "At least I have a chance of spotting her.  I won't be looking at the skaters wearing the skimpy costumes."

 

"I just look at the ice skates, man.  Not the girls," Blair protested. "It's a habit.  I worked one summer at…"

 

"An ice rink," Jim finished.

 

"Well, yeah." Blair glared at his partner and then laughed.  "I got in the habit of trying to guess which skates would need to be fixed by watching the skaters."  He shrugged.  "So when do we leave?"

 

"Right now."

 

~~~~~

 

"I'm really glad that we were able to spend some time with my cousin Judy on this trip.  I haven't seen her in years." Blair slyly glanced at his partner.  "Nice trip."

 

"Um," Jim replied.  "I'm going to recommend Lt. Duff to Simon.  If we ever need a guy in Houston, he's one I wouldn't mind working with again."

 

"So when's the gang coming over?"

 

"They should be here in a few," Jim responded as he glanced at the clock.  "I'm not sure this is such a good idea, Chief."

 

"Come on man, loosen up and live a little.  I think it's going to go over great," Blair enthused.

 

"I don't know.  There's just something weird about having enchiladas and tamales for Christmas dinner.  And having margaritas instead of wine?  It's just strange."  Jim grabbed the remote control and turned down the music on the way to answer the door.  He turned and waggled his eyebrows at Blair. "But I really liked your cousin Judy."

 

Blair stood there open mouthed as their friends filled the loft.

 

Happy Holidays!

 

 

Feedback is greatly appreciated. Cheryl

 

Back


 

 

 

-----------------

 

Happy Christmas (War is over)

By John Lennon

 

So this is Christmas
And what have you done?
Another year over
And a new one just begun

And so this is Christmas
I hope you have fun
The near and the dear one
The old and the young.

A very Merry Christmas
And a Happy New Year
Let's hope it's a good one
Without any fear

And so this is Christmas
For weak and for strong
For rich and the poor ones
The road is so long

And so Happy Christmas
For black and for white
For yellow and red ones
Let's stop all the fight.

A very Merry Christmas
And a Happy New Year
Let's hope it's a good one
Without any fear

So this is Christmas
And what have you done?
Another year over
And a new one just begun

And so Happy Christmas
I hope you have fun
The near and the dear one
The old and the young.

A very Merry Christmas
And a Happy New Year
Let's hope it's a good one
Without any fear

War is over!
If you want it
War is over!
War is over, Now!