Something Bad for Me Please

By JudyL

August 22, 2003

This is another little bit from the characters. No real plot going on here, just something that popped into my head and I'm not sure it went where I thought it would.

Disclaimers: The usual.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jim walked into the loft and stopped just inside the door. From the smell he quickly deduced that his roomate had done something that he wouldn't like and felt the need to bribe him.

Sure enough, the Sentinel turned as he closed the front door and saw Sandburg standing by the kitchen island looking over a variety of food that fell into the "it's not healthy" food group that Jim loved so much.

He grinned then did a double-take and frowned. What the hell?

Blair was actually biting into a Wonderburger with cheese and all the extras, if his nose didn't deceive him.

"Uh, Chief? Is there something you need to tell me?" He couldn't think of a single reason the health conscious young man would voluntarily eat a Wonderburger, let alone the other items he saw spread out in front of Sandburg.

Blair looked up guiltily and quickly swallowed the bite of burger he'd been enjoying. He wiped the back of his hand across his mouth and stammered, "Oh, hey, Jim. I didn't expect you back so soon."

The Sentinel surveyed the kitchen island, noting a box of donuts, the Wonderburger bag with fries sitting on it and another box labeled "The Cookie Co." that contained double chocolate chip cookies. Jim's mouth watered just from the smell.

"I see that, Chief. You want to tell me what's up?"

Sandburg had that "caught in the headlights" look, but it swiftly turned to frustration and exasperation. "Geeze, Jim! I just can't take it anymore. All they ever have me eating is tofu and those damn algae shakes. I can't take it anymore. If one more fic writer has me blend up some green goop and drink it, I think I'll throw up!"

Jim smirked. "Well, to tell you the truth, I wouldn't be too sad to see those things go, they smell horrible, but as to the rest, that's just who you are, Chief. They're only following the canon examples. Not their fault."

Blair ran a hand through his hair. "I know, I know. But, man, I just had this craving for red meat… no it was worse than that. I was driving home and passed Wonderburger and I could smell it. My mouth began to water and before I knew it I was at the drive thru window." He shook his head and popped a french fry into his mouth.

"Then I stopped at the bakery down the street and got the cookies and before I could stop myself I picked up the donuts too. I don't know what came over me, Jim. I wasn't even hungry."

Ellison eyed his partner for a minute. "Maybe we should put in a request to have you eat "unhealthy" every once in a while. Keep this craving thing under control. I don't want you hardening your arteries on this stuff." He tried to hide a grin.

"Oh, that's funny, man. Come on. This is serious, Jim. I didn't just buy one burger, you know. I bought a burger, and then I thought maybe a cheeseburger and then the BBQ burger sounded really good." He motioned at the sack on the table. "You want something? There's plenty."

Jim's eyebrows raised as he peered into the sack to see another burger sitting on the bottom. That's when he realized that there was evidence of a third burger on the counter. Just a wrapper was left. His eyebrows raised even further. Maybe this was serious. That much grease in Sandburg's system was going to wreak some kind of havoc.

He went into the bathroom and retrieved the antacid bottle.

"Hey. Jim," Blair called to him, "you didn't answer me, do you want something to eat?"

Jim walked back into the kitchen and placed the bottle on the island. He shook his head. "No thanks. Actually," he said with a rather pained expression on his face, "I think I'll have some salad." Just the thought of a Wonderburger meal right now was making his stomach churn.

"You sure?" Blair asked taking another bite of his burger.

"Yeah, Chief. I'm sure."

Fini

Well, it was just a bit of something. Had a really amusing ring to it when the muse struck.

 

Comments are always welcome, please let me know what you think. Judy

Back