Quiet Reflection

By JudyL

October 22, 2004

This story was inspired by a story called 'Quiet' by Freya-Kendra that she posted to the Cascade Times list. As I read through it and got to a certain point, an idea of how the story might go came to me. Freya-Kendra went in a different direction and her lovely story was the result. With her permission, I borrowed the first few paragraphs from 'Quiet' and took off where my muse led.

I believe this also qualifies for the SA's October themefic where Susn requested us to fic a fic. Write a missing scene, sequel or alternate ending and or beginning to our favorite fanfic. This is an alternate middle and end… does that count?

Here is the link to Freya-Kendra 's story, "Quiet." Be sure to follow the link and read it as well.

http://thewhyofme.netherweb.com/shaman-sense/index_files/Page311.htm

Here's the start of Freya-Kendra's story. Mine begins after the second set of asterisks.

****************************************************


It was quiet. Too quiet. Of course, for a Sentinel it was never really quiet in the literal sense. But for Jim, for that moment, he felt cocooned in a solemn and empty silence. He could hear an angry, old man complaining about the cost of gas at the station a block away. What he couldn't hear was his own roommate's annoying, endless chatter about things that had no discernible value at all.

That was what was missing. That was what he missed.

When the phone rang, the sudden noise jolted him, sending his heart into overdrive. He pounced like a cat alerted to the sudden vulnerability of its prey.

"Simon?" he answered quickly, not bothering with greetings.

There was no immediate response, just the slight clicking sound of a machine switching channels – the telltale sound of an automated telemarketer. In a moment he'd be greeted by either a recorded sales pitch, or by a real person delivering a prepared speech.

Jim didn't have time for that sort of nonsense. But what if it was something else? On the outside chance he was about to be given the information he needed from a source as yet unknown, he stayed on the line.

"Hello," a person finally said. "I'm calling for a Mr. James Ellison."

****

"Chief," Jim sighed with relief, "where are you?"

"Sir," Sandburg's voice stated evenly, "I'm sorry to disturb you this evening. I am conducting a survey and would appreciate a few moments of your time."

"Cut the crap Blair," Ellison snapped. "Just tell me where you are and I'll come pick you up."

"I apologize for any inconvenience, sir. Good night," Blair replied calmly.

"NO! Wait," Jim pleaded. "All right already! If you want to…" he barely stopped himself before he went too far. He took a deep breath. "What kind of survey?" Jim asked solemnly.

"We're collecting data on friendships," Sandburg answered. "Are you willing to participate?"

Jim sighed already frustrated by Sandburg's little game. "Sure, fire away," he said tartly.

"First question, do you have someone you consider your best friend?"

"Yes, you…"

"Please," Blair interrupted, "just answer yes or no unless otherwise instructed."

Jim clamped his lips shut and waited.

"Do you ever fight with your best friend?"

"Yeah," Jim said softly. "Sometimes."

"Who usually starts these fights?"

"That's not a yes or no question," Jim reminded him.

"Just answer the question," Blair said brusquely.

"I'd say it's about even."

"Who usually ends these fights? Think carefully," Blair cautioned.

Jim's eyes narrowed as he thought back to the fight that had led to this preposterous situation. Yeah, okay, so I basically told the kid he was wrong, I was right, and that was that. I don't always do that though… do I? "Um, can I come back to this question?"

A grunt sounded from the other end of the line then Blair asked the next one. "Are you currently fighting with your friend?"

"You know damn well I am, Chief."

"Do you owe your friend an apology?"

"I don't want to do this over the phone Blair," Jim said wearily.

"Oh, so you have a lot of experience apologizing in person, do you?"

"Blair…"

"Do you owe your friend an apology?"

"Yes! Now will you come home? Please?"

Silence.

"Chief?"

"Why do you have to make things so difficult, Jim?"

"Me? I'm not the one conducting a fake survey."

"I tried talking to you face to face, Ellison, but you turned your back on me. You told me to shut up and stay out of things that I knew nothing about." Blair paused. "Tell me, what I could have done at that point to get your attention?"

Jim ran his hand over his face. "I'm sorry Blair. You're right."

"That's it? That's all you're going to say? No excuses, no explanations?"

"I don't think I have either, Chief," Jim admitted. "Just before you called I was realizing how much… It's really quiet around here without you Chief. Come home. Please."

"We'll talk?" Blair asked hesitantly.

"Yeah, buddy, I promise. We'll talk."

The front door opened suddenly and Jim whirled around to see his friend enter the loft. Blair still had his cell phone to his ear.

"You promise to talk?" Blair said into the phone as he clicked off the white noise generator.

Jim smiled and spoke into his phone. "Yeah. I promise."

They both slowly lowered their phones closing the open line at the same time as they reopened a much more important line of communication.

Finis

 

Feedback is muchly appreciated. Judy

Back