The Right Thing - Part 2


by krisserci5

PART 2:

"How'd it go?" Ezra asked as he walked alongside Vin, back toward the Brown Bear.

"Got it," Vin said.

"You certain it's the right one?"

"Big bird, all fancy and sparkly."

"Can I see it?"

"Best not on the crowded street."

"Any trouble?"

"I feel like a dirty criminal?  That troubles me."

"Not all crime is filthy," Ezra quickly countered, brushing at Vin's coat.  "But you are.  I'm tidy."

Vin snorted.  "Only real problem I had was when you let one of the party get loose.  How'd it go for you?"

Ezra tilted his head.  "I had no problem joining their little soirée.  I am, after all, a master at such things. "He smiled rubbing his ring.  "And I have the proper accoutrements to find conversation with skilled jewelers."

"Figured as much."

"They are a congenial bunch and remembered me from the trip from Four Corners.  We chatted about life in that lovely burg.  Rudolfo was pleased to talk about their planned life in San Francisco.  Unfortunately, once the conversation turned toward business, the elder Lopez remembered that no one was watching their wares.  I did my best to steer the conversation elsewhere, but he was insistent, and decided to check on their goods."

"You could've kept 'em longer.  It might've meant my hide."

Ezra scoffed.  "Oh, I could've thrown myself bodily in front of Alonzo, but that seemed a bit much.  I did delay him, giving you more than enough time to complete the task.  He was a determined young man, and to push it farther would have made me appear guilty."  He pressed a hand to his chest.  "Imagine that?" he said, innocently.

"Can't," Vin responded.

"We wouldn't want to lead them back to us, now would we?"

"You got a point."

"And besides, you could've taken him, if it proved necessary."

"Probably right," Vin agreed.

Ezra said nothing for a moment, but his expression showed that he had something else he wanted to say.

"What?" Vin started.  "What do you have stuck in your craw?"

"I was wonderin'," Ezra started.  "Were you able to see what else they had?  Was it all of the inferior quality as that necklace, or did they have somethin' of real worth?"

"Wasn't nothing else in the toolkit, ‘cept for some bits of stuff.  The rest must have been in the case."

"Ah… pity," Ezra said forlornly.  "I shouldn't have made my suggestion regarding the kit.  Might've been worthwhile to know what else was available."

They had reached the Brown Bear Tavern, and found Andy and Maple waiting at the table where they'd left them.  Excitedly, they stood as Vin and Ezra moved through the crowd to their table.

"Did you get it?" Maple started hopefully.  She rubbed at her arm with one hand to calm herself.

Andy shuffled.   "We understand if you weren't able to."  He blinked several times.  Maple leaned against him, burying her head against his shoulder.

"We got what we went for," Vin told them, smiling as he reached into his pocket.  Cupping his hand around the contents, he withdrew the necklace and placed it carefully in Maple's outstretched hands.  Ezra's greedy gaze followed.

Maple's mouth opened in a joyful "O" as she stared at the garish necklace, then clenched her hand around the piece as if she never wanted to let it loose.  "Oh, thank you!  Thank you!"

She giggled gleefully, then wrapped one arm around Vin in a quick hug, clenching the necklace with her other hand.  She stood, and rounded the table to hug Ezra – who smiled magnanimously.

"We were more than happy to help," Standish said.

"How did you get it from them?" Maple asked, her voice filled with wonder.

"Some things are best left a mystery," Ezra said, "But suffice it to say, the Lopez Brothers are none the wiser regarding who removed it from their possession."

Andy shook hands and pounded backs.   "How can we ever thank you?"

"We can arrange to accept a payment," Ezra tried.

Vin gave him a sharp glance.  "Think nothin' of it," the tracker told them.

Andy and Maple thanked them all again, then wished them well and then grabbed their bag and headed out of the Brown Bear.

And once they were gone, the Vin and Ezra settled at their table, and ordered dinner again.  The server gave them an unpleasant look, remembering them from before.  She made them pay first - with enough to cover the earlier meal that they'd never received.  Ezra balked, but the town was crowded with train travelers.  It was doubtful they'd find another open table at another restaurant.

Hungry, they awaited the return of the server from the kitchen, hoping it wouldn't take long.

"I hear that you help people."

Vin and Ezra looked up to see Alonzo Lopez, hat in hand, standing before them. They said nothing as they turned slowly to each other to exchange bemused expressions, and then returned their attention to Alonzo.

"Please…" the elder Lopez said.  "We are in great need."

Vin nodded to an empty seat.

Alonzo gave them a thankful look as he sat down with them. "We've been robbed," he said.  "While here in this town.  Robbed!  A horrible thief sneaked into our room and robbed my family!  This thief is scum!  He is worse than scum!  Bastardo!"

Vin felt a sting from those words and opened his mouth to speak.

Ezra cut him off.   "Now, why would you think that is possible?  You're staying at the Mamie Hotel.   Surely, they take good care of their customers."

Alonzo grimaced.  "I would have thought this.  I placed our valuables under the bed, to be safe.   When I came back to the room, I discovered something was missing!  It was as if the horrid thief knew where to look!  There was a footprint on the windowsill!  Someone came in through the window."

Vin tucked his feet further under the table – just in case.  Ezra raised an eyebrow.

Alonzo went on, "We are jewelers.  My father… my father was the great man who gave us everything.  He was a master with gold."  He placed a hand over his heart as he muttered, "Rest in Peace, Papa."

Vin bowed his head.

"We had the necklace given to us by the Perkins estate.  They asked us to deliver it here when it was complete. Now it is lost!  How could I be so stupid!" And he pulled at his hair in frustration.  "We are ruined!"

Vin furrowed his brow, "Necklace from the Perkins Estate?' he said and looked to Ezra.

Ezra cleared his throat and asked, "It was valuable?"

"Very valuable."

"And it was not constructed with glass?"

"Glass?"  Alonzo's face went blank.  He couldn't speak for several moments, but he then shook his head vehemently.  "No! A thousand times no!   There are sapphires, emeralds, diamonds! All of the finest quality." Alonzo wagged a finger at them as if scolding.  "Not glass! Worth many dollars! Entrusted to my family!"

Ezra continued, "And was this expensive necklace, by chance, in any particular shape?"

"Shape?  It was un pavo, a peacock," Alonzo responded.  "Most glorious!"

Ezra stared at Vin as he said, "It would appear that someone was hoodwinked."

Vin confusion was giving way to a sick feeling.  "That young couple that rode up here with ya'll," he started.  "Did you show it to them?"

Alonzo stiffened and his eyes moved slowly as he put two and two together.  "Rudolfo… oh the fool!  He…should never have. ..  if Jaime hadn't encouraged him.  Ugh!" he shook his head regretfully.  "The Barlows, they wanted to see our work.  They were very interested.   Jaime told us to show them the best!  I should have known better.  But, I was careful!  I kept a hawk's eye on them to make sure that nothing happened."

"Some people are diabolically untrustworthy," Ezra said in a commiserating tone.

Alonzo shook his head.  "They sneaked into our room?  How could someone do that?"

Ezra said.  "Sometimes horrible, degenerate people come into your room when you're unaware.  They are callous and repulsive creatures that prey on the innocent."

"Ezra…" Vin mumbled, his ears were turning red with guilt.

"They are vile and without shame or moral compass," Ezra continued

Alonzo was shaking his head woefully.  "I do not know what to do."

"You haven't sought out the local law?" Ezra asked.

Lopez didn't speak at first, but finally said, "We are not of this country, though we wish to start out lives here.  They will not trust us."  He met Vin's eyes, and asked, "But can I trust you?"

"Mr. Lopez," Vin started. "I gotta tell you…"

"We'd be happy to help," Ezra responded.  "Just give us a little time and we'll retrieve it for you."

7777777

"Should've told them the truth," Vin said.

"What good would that have done?"

"Would've made my conscience lighter," Vin responded.

"And make our wrists heavier with chains," Ezra said, holding his hands out as if shackled. "No, we need to get this corrected before Lopez decides to take a risk with Stains."

They made their way to the station, to the area where one could buy a seat on the freight wagon to Roosterville.

Maple and Andy were not waiting on the little bench outside the ticket office.   After a little scouting, they found the two on a bench, around the corner, amid the crowd in the train station waiting area.  The moment they were spotted, both looked away, huddling together on their bench, and trying to disappear.

"Mr. Barlow, Mrs. Barlow," Ezra greeted as he sat down beside them.  His expression was cordial, and his voice light.  "My, my, my, it is a lovely day for a ride to Roosterville."

"Why yes it is," Maple responded, lifting her head reluctantly.  "And I wanted to let ya'll know how grateful we are for all you have done for us.  I don't know how we would have gone on without our heirloom.  It was so brave of you all to help us so." Maple looked to her dumbstruck husband.

"Yeah," he finally got out, "…brave."

"And we never could have done it without your help."

"Never… not never."

"And seein's how you're here, we wanted to thank you again for what ya'll's done."  She was knotting at the handkerchief that Ezra had given her.

Vin had moved in and was nearly knee-to-knee with Andy.  "Seems we've heard a story that's different from yours," he said.

"Bit of a conflict, yes," Ezra said.  He sat forward in his seat, making it difficult for Maple to move.  "Perhaps you can tell us --again, how the Lopez brothers ended up with the peacock necklace?"

"Well," Maple said, one arm tightly over her bag. "I asked if they might be able to fix my precious necklace which really wasn't worth much because it's only glass."

"They'd shown you other pieces that they were mending," Ezra started, "And you thought they might be able to assist you."

"Yes, and Rudolfo said they would," Maple said.  "So he fixed it and when he was done, Jaime distracted us."

"Yea!" Andy put in.  "He distracted us somethin' fierce!"

"And when we were being distracted, Rudolfo switched it out with some bits and pieces.  They used sleight of hand to hide it."

"Horrible!" Ezra put in.  "How does that man live with himself?"

"Funny thing, Alonzo tells it differently," Vin responded.  "He says that the necklace was given to them to be fixed for some rich folk.  They were delivering it to a lady here in town."

"That's a lie," Andy barked, trying to stand but unable to move due to Vin's proximity.

"Also, you claimed that they showed you other pieces that they were working on," Ezra explained. "And yet, in their repair kit, there was only the one piece, the peacock necklace.  It must have been what was shown to you during their demonstration."

"The peacock's been in my family for generations!" Andy declared vehemently.

"So you're familiar with it?" Ezra asked.  "You've handled it often and know it from front to back."

"Yes, of course," Maple put in.

"So, what color stones are used for the peacock's eyes?" Ezra asked.

They were stymied.  "They're Blue!" shouted Maple as Andy said, "They're Green!" and then they switched to "Green" and "Blue", and then Maple said, "Blue-green!" as Andy said, "I never really noticed."  Maple was trying to surreptitiously open her bag to peek in.

Vin held out a hand.  "Hand it over.  We'll get it back to the Lopez brothers."

"And we'll let you go," Ezra added. "But the offer only stands for the next five seconds. Give us trouble, and we'll alert the local authorities."

"You wouldn't want that," Vin said in a friendly tone.  "We're doin' you a favor."

Maple stuck out her bottom lip and Andy looked as if he wanted to cry.

Ezra commented, "You can give it to us now, or give it to the sheriff at your hangin'.  It's your decision."

"Seems a bit harsh," Vin mumbled.  "Hanging them for this sort of business."

"They involved innocent citizens in their foul fowl quest," Ezra retorted, pointing at himself.  "In the eyes of the law, that increases the penalty."

"Hmm," Vin responded.  "That seems fair."

Andy reached for the carpet bag.  Maple gave him a withering look and she opened it herself.  She dug down into the bag and came up with a weighted stocking.

"Here!" she grumbled, slapping it into his open hand.  "I hope you choke on it!  Now leave us alone!"  And she crossed her arms– Andy did the same.

Vin dropped the necklace out of the stocking to be sure that nothing had been switched and then smiled at the couple.  "Thank you kindly," he said. He tried to hand the stocking back, but Maple wasn't moving.  Self-consciously, Vin left it draped over her knee.

Ezra stood, touching the brim of his hat.  "I would like to say that it has been a pleasure, but it hasn't."

And with that, Vin and Ezra turned and left the little bench.  Behind them, Maple and Andy couldn't stand to look at each other.

"Can't believe they did that," Vin mumbled as they moved onward.  "They made up that whole story to trick us into getting us to steal that necklace for them!"

Ezra shrugged.  "Wish I had thought of a scheme like that."

Vin snorted. "No one would trust you enough to believe the story in the first place.  You got an untrustworthy nature about you."

Ezra raised an eyebrow, but conceded the truth with a nod.

Vin shoved the necklace into his pocket. "I didn't think you got a good look at it earlier.  You know the color of the peacock's eyes?"

Ezra gave him a knowing grin, "My observation skills are unmatched."

"It's only got one eye showin'," Vin said.  "It's got its head turned like this."  And he did a fair impression of a peacock in profile.  "You said ‘eyes'."

"Unmatched doesn't necessarily mean it's a good thing," Ezra said with a little laugh.  "So, is the eye green or blue?"

Vin smiled as they hurried toward the Mamie.  "Not sure if I should tell you."

"And why not?" Ezra exclaimed, his voice raising a little.

"Like I said, you got an untrustworthy nature about you," Vin told him.

"Let me see it then," Ezra said as he reached toward the tracker's mangy pocket.  "It's not safe in there anyway.  It's certain to fall through one of those myriad holes."

"Not on your life!" Vin replied, slapping away his reaching hand.  "It's safer with the holes!"

Ezra pouted as he hurried alongside Vin.  The train was pulling into town, making a hell of a commotion.  There was no telling when the freight wagon to Roosterville would come through – nothing about Roosterville ran well.

"After we're finished here, our dinner had best be waitin' for us still at the Brown Bear," Ezra grumbled.   "I'm halfway to starvation!  My stomach feels as if it's digesting itself."

Vin chuckled, and then said, "Black."  When Ezra threw him a confused expression, Vin told him confidentially.  "The peacock's eye is black."

7777777

"Ebony!" Jaime declared when they asked the question.  He was found sitting in the lobby, reading.

Vin nodded, accepting the response and he pulled the necklace from pocket.

Jaime sat forward and looked at the necklace in awe.  "Amazing!" Jaime breathed out.  "You are amazing! You both are amazing!"  He chuckled lightly.  "It's unbelievable what the Barlows tried to do.  How d' you think they managed it?  They really don't seem like the sort that'd break into a second-story room.   Do you think it was Maple or Andy?  Maple maybe.  She seemed more adventurous.  I guess it's hard to know anyone."  He fondled the necklace, seeming to drink it in with his eyes.  "Grand deceivers!"

"Well, they can be very convincing," Ezra responded.

"Can't believe that we were duped by them," Jaime went on.  "I thought they were decent folks.  I'm an idiot for believing them!"

"Yeah…" Vin drew out the word.

Ezra glanced around the room.  "You might want to alert your brothers.  I believe you all have a meeting soon with the owner."

Jaime glanced up at him, then away, and then he lowered his gaze again to the necklace.  "They'll be here shortly, won't they?"  Then his head shot up.  "I'll get them!  They'll be so happy!" he said as he stood.  "They stepped out to the post office.  I'll get them!"

Ezra and Vin watched him go.  Once he was through the door, he took off in a run.

"That wasn't right… " Vin said.

Ezra nodded and both were about follow when Alonzo and Rudolfo came down the stairs with their cases.  "You're here!" Alonzo said cheerfully.  He reached them quickly and said a low voice, "Did you retrieve it?"

"We did," Vin said, turning his gaze to the doorway where Jaime had disappeared.

"Well?" Rudolfo said, holding out his hands.  "Please, let me see it again. I have been so anxious."

"We gave it to your brother," Ezra told him.

Rudolfo held out his hands to Alonzo, "Already, you have it?  Please, let me see."

Alonzo seemed confused.  "Not I," he responded. "We are still waiting."

The door to the Mamie opened and a lovely older woman walked in, dressed in fine clothing, diamonds sparkled in her ears.  Her graying brunette hair was upswept with a tiara-like comb holding it all together.

"She's here," Alonzo hissed.

"We gave it to your other brother," Vin told them.

"Tomas?  But Tomas isn't here," Alonzo told him, bewildered.  "He's only twelve years old."

Beside him, Ezra growled, "Hell and damnation!" and sprinted to the door.  Vin was beside him as Ezra ran toward the train station.  "Jaime is not their brother!"

Vin grimaced.  There was a passing resemblance between the three men – the same hair color, skin tone, the way they dressed.  And yet, they'd never seen Jaime with the cases.  They'd never heard him speak about the jeweler's trade.  They'd … assumed he was one of them.  He was just another traveler.

They ran past the bench where Maple and Andy waited.  The train station was abuzz with passengers, making their way to the teaming train.  Vendors were packing into the place to ply their trade.

Vin and Ezra ducked back and forth through the mob, looking for Jaime who wasn't a Lopez.

cleverly crocheted for me by sablecain

Continue to next part 


Hope you enjoyed the story...comments and suggestions

Back to Index