Jury Duty 1

The Summons

By CherylR

July 1, 2004

This story is based on RL. I have to call in every Friday for the month of July to find out if I have to report for jury duty for the US District Court. Blair, being the helpful sort of guy he is, decided to help out. I don’t have finals, but I do have two small children.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

June 6

The innocent looking envelope was mixed in with the rest of Blair’s mail. After he opened it and glanced at the contents, he’d almost wished that it had been his Visa bill. At least he knew the pain involved in that. This was much worse. It was a jury summons.

Normally he wouldn’t mind. He’d never been called to jury duty before and would love to both do his civic duty and see what the judicial system was like from a different angle. But not during finals.

Besides, who’d ever heard of having to be on call for the entire month! So much for being able to plan anything at all more than a few days in advance.

"Jim," Blair whined, "did you see this?"

"What’s that Chief?" Jim asked as he came out of the kitchen wiping his hands on a towel.

"I’m in the jury pool for July. The whole month, man. Are they even going to let me be picked for jury duty? I mean… come on… I follow a cop around in my spare time. Don’t they think that would prejudice me against the criminals?"

"There are always the civil trials Chief."

Blair grunted. "And what about this questionnaire… I haven't had to fill out this many weird questions since I applied for my observers pass. Why do they care what my non-existent spouse does for a living?"

Jim just grinned and ruffled Blair’s hair before returning to the kitchen to put the finishing touches on dinner.

Blair finished answering the last of the questions and added, "They need to rework their system. This form said that I had ten days to return the questionnaire or they were going to issue a court order for me to appear before the judge. What if I was out of town… or in the hospital… or even had my mail stolen? Would they send you to arrest me?"

"Don’t worry about that partner. I wouldn’t have been the one to arrest you. You’ve been called to jury duty for the US District Court, they have US Marshals to do their dirty work," Jim said with a slight smirk.

"And look at this," Blair continued ignoring the Sentinel’s smart alec remark. "The dress code for Jurors. Man, are they going to give me a clothing allowance? It’s not like anyone is going to see what I’m wearing from the waist down anyway."

"Buck up Chief, it’s for a good cause."

"I know, I know and I agree, but the timing sucks," Blair let out a big sigh.

~~~~

July 2, shortly after 2pm

Blair picked up the phone looked at the directions and placed the call. He pushed all the correct buttons and then waited to see what his week was going to be like. Oh man, here goes…

Jury Duty -Part 2

 

Feedback is greatly appreciated. Cheryl