New Year’s Smash

By JudyL

January 4, 2006

 

Just a bit of New Year fun.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

“Home, home on the range,” he warbled off key as his partner struggled to help him out of the truck. “Where the deeeeeeeeer… and the annnn-te-lope… play. Everybody sing.”

 

Heads turned in the parking garage as the two partners stumbled toward the door.

 

“Whaaaaaaa – ere, selduuuummmm is herrrrrrrd,” he sang off key while his partner tried to keep them on the path to the elevator. “Aaaaaa discouraging worrrrrd.”

 

The elevator dinged and the doors opened. They made it into the car without another note being sung. Maybe, just maybe he was starting to wind down.

 

“AAAAAND THE SKIES… ARE NOT CLOUDY… ALLLLLLL DAAAAAAAY!”

 

The sober man rolled his eyes and adjusted his grip on his partner’s belt. The doors opened and he led his friend toward the bullpen.

 

“Home,” the apparently inebriated man said softly.

 

“Yeah, we’re back,” the other replied.

 

“Hommmmmme.”

 

“Oh no.”

 

“Home on the range.”

 

The off-key warbling continued as they made their way to their desks. The door to the captain’s office opened.

 

“What the hell is going on here?” Simon Banks bellowed. “Is he drunk?”

 

“Yes, sir. No, sir. Well…”

 

“Which is it Detective?” Banks demanded.

 

The detective sighed. “I’d have to say, yes, he is inebriated, but it’s not his fault, Simon.”

 

“You’d better talk fast, Sandburg.”

 

Blair sighed again. “We were on our way in when these two guys came running out into the street in front of us,” he explained quickly. “They were obviously toasted, so we asked where they had come from and they led us back into their office building. Their company was having a New Year’s party.” He glanced over at Jim who seemed to be fascinated by the screen saver on his computer. At least the singing had stopped.

 

“Go on,” Simon encouraged.

 

“There was an argument going on at the refreshment table so we headed over there. By the time we reached it two of them had picked up the punch bowl and seemed to be fighting over it. Jim called out ‘Cascade PD, what’s going on here,’ and startled them. The next thing I know we’re both wearing the punch.”

 

Simon smirked.

 

Blair rolled his eyes. “We made sure there was someone there to get the others home, helped them collect car keys and started to wrap things up. That’s when I noticed Jim was acting a little off.”

 

They both turned at the sound of Jim humming. He was leaned back in his chair holding a snow globe up in front of his face with both hands. The little flakes were swirling around in the globe and Jim had a delighted smile on his face.

 

Blair grinned and looked back at Simon. “I think the punch was spiked. I don’t know what with, but Jim’s smashed.”

 

“Is he going to be all right?” Simon asked concerned about the affects the punch might have on the Sentinel.

 

“I think so,” Blair said. “I may end up killing him if he keeps singing though.”

 

Banks chuckled. “Why did you bring him here? You should have gone straight home.”

 

“Uh uh. I need witnesses,” he grinned evilly.

 

Simon’s grin grew to match Blair’s. “Stay right here. I’ll get the video camera. Do you think you can get him to sing again?”

 

Blair looked at his best friend, weighing the possible outcomes of the night then met Simon’s eyes with a conspiratorial nod. “Oh yeah. No problem.”

 

“Hehehe,” Simon chuckled as he strode quickly from the bullpen.

 

“Hey, Jim,” Blair said cheerfully turning to address his partner. “Wanna be a movie star?”

 

finis

 

 

Any comments are appreciated. Judy

 

Back

webhosting
webhosting