A Hairy Halloween

By JudyL

November 1, 2006

 

Blair was curious. He and Jim were going to the annual Cascade PD Halloween costume party. Blair had been bragging about his ‘Big, Bad Wolf’ costume all month, but couldn’t get Jim to share what he would be going as.

 

After being barraged for days by Blair, Jim had finally given one little clue. “I’m going as my hero.”

 

Blair was stumped. Who could it be? A sports figure? Nah. A movie star? Uh uh. A character from a book or television? No.

 

“Come on, Jim, just one more hint. Please?” Blair begged as he followed Jim into the bullpen.

 

“No way, Chief,” Jim said, shaking his head. “This is going to be a surprise. And I can guarantee that the ‘most original costume’ prize will be mine,” he finished with a huge grin.

 

Blair dropped into his chair behind Jim’s desk. “No fair, man. I shared with you.”

 

Jim just shrugged. “Not telling.”

 

“Man,” Blair whined.

 

******

 

The costume party

 

Blackbeard, i.e. Simon Banks swaggered over to the Big Bad Wolf, i.e. Blair Sandburg. “Where’s Jim?”

 

“I dunno, Simon. He said he would meet me here. Didn’t want me to see his costume before everyone else,” Blair said rather piqued.

 

“Well, he better get here soon,” Simon said. “Things are about to get rolling.” He swaggered off to join the Blues Brothers and Raggedy Andy and Ann.

 

Blair went to the refreshment table to get a drink and see what food was available. As he was nibbling he watched the crowd and saw Little Bo Peep from accounting. He grinned. He’d been thinking about asking her out for a while and now seemed the perfect opportunity. Blair grabbed another glass of punch for Bo Peep and started to make his way through the vampires, goblins, keystone cops and robbers.

 

A sudden disturbance toward the front entrance caught his attention before he reached Bo Peep. Laughter and amused voices greeted someone. As the cause of the ruckus drew near, Blair frowned at the frequent sounds of people calling out, “Hey, Hairboy!” and “Blair, my man!”

 

The crowd parted and Blair’s jaw dropped open at the sight that stood before him. Long, dark curly hair, glasses, a long-sleeve white shirt, a psychedelic vest, faded blue jeans with ‘artistic’ tears in the knees and white tennis shoes. “Jim!”

 

“No, man, the name’s Blair,” Jim said smiling as he stuck his hand out. Blair took it automatically and they shook hands. “So is it, Big Bad, or Mr. Wolf?” Jim/Blair asked.

 

“Uh,” Blair replied sagely.

 

Simon slapped him on the back. “What’s the matter, Sandburg? Cat got your tongue?”

 

“Yeah, Hairboy,” Henri/Blues Brother number one teased. “You look taller.”

 

Raggedy Andy/Rafe circled the pseudo-Blair and nodded. “Yep, I think you’re right, H. Definitely taller.”

 

Blair rolled his eyes. “This is your big, secret costume, Jim?”

 

“Pretty original, eh?” Jim grinned, turning around to give them the entire effect. That’s when Blair saw his old backpack on Jim’s shoulder.

 

Blair frowned. “Very funny.”

 

“Come on, Blair,” Joel said. “It’s all for fun.”

 

The speakers crackled and came to life. “Everyone grab a partner for the first contest. Line up to the right of the refreshment tables.”

 

Jim caught Blair’s arm to lead him toward the line. “Come on, Chief.”

 

Blair pulled his arm out of Jim’s grasp. “I thought you were coming as your ‘hero.’”

 

Jim turned and looked Blair in the eyes. “I did, Blair.”

 

Blair opened his mouth then closed it and blinked away the moisture in his eyes. Jim’s sincere smile was contagious. He smiled up at his partner then punched him lightly on the arm. “You should have told me, then I could have come as my hero.”

 

Jim dropped his arm around Blair’s shoulders and they headed for the growing line. “And who’s that, Chief?”

 

“You, man. Have been since I found you at the hospital. ‘Course it would have been harder for me to be you…” he paused briefly at the memory those words conjured up.

 

“Why’s that?” Jim asked squeezing Blair’s shoulder.

 

“Well, it’s a lot easier to put on a wig than to cover up all this hair, Jim,” Blair grinned.

 

Jim growled, playfully tugging at the ear of Blair’s wolf costume. “We could just shave it off.”

 

“No way, man. Not in my lifetime. Happy Halloween, Jim, er, Chief.”

 

“Happy Halloween, Blair.”

 

Finito!

 

 

 

Feedback is greatly appreciated. Judy

 

Back

webhosting
webhosting