Get His Goat

 

By JudyL

December 6, 2005

 

As usual I have other stories that I’m trying to get finished, but the muse is being stubborn. And I think I’ll have to lay the blame, or credit for this one on my cousin/beta Cheryl. She was the one who suggested that when we are trying to work on one particular story we always seem to come up with something new. So, thanks for the nudge Cheryl <G>.

 

All the usual disclaimers apply. Also many thanks to my wonderful beta Cheryl for keeping me in line.<G>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

“Ah Chief,” Jim Ellison said quietly as he knelt beside his partner who was stretched out on the kitchen floor. “How do we get ourselves into these things?” He sighed then listened. No sound of help yet.

 

A spluttering noise from Blair had Jim instantly repositioning his hands to stem the flow from the gaping hole. “I’m sorry Blair. Hang on. Shouldn’t be long now.”

 

It had all started so innocently. Another seemingly simple repair job gone to hell.

 

“Come on H, hurry up,” Jim urged under his breath. He frowned and concentrated on what he could feel under his hands. It felt like the flow was slowing down. “Hold on Chief. Help’s on the way.” He tilted his head and listened as Henri charged back up the stairs.

 

The door to the loft slammed open. H slid to a stop beside Jim. “Was that it? I tried to hurry.”

 

Jim nodded and released his hold as he backed away from Blair’s body.

 

Henri saw the mess spreading across the floor beneath Blair. He sighed as he dropped his chin to his chest.

 

Jim stood and clapped his hand on H’s shoulder. “You did everything you could H. It’ll be all right.”

 

“Would you help me up out of here!” an indignant splutter came from under the sink.

 

Jim grinned and then reached back down to grab Blair’s hand. He pulled his partner up onto his feet and started to laugh.

 

Blair’s glare was ineffective. He tossed the wrench into the toolbox in disgust.

 

“Sorry Hairboy,” H chuckled as he got his first good look at Blair.

 

Blair shook his head, wet curls flying and splattering the other two with water.

 

“Hey!” Jim and H shouted in unison as they ducked to try and avoid the droplets.

 

Blair just grinned.

 

“What took you so long H?” Jim asked as he headed toward the bathroom.

 

“I couldn’t reach the shut off valve to the water main,” Henri replied. “I had to move a bunch of boxes to get to it.”

 

“I’m just glad you were here,” Jim said as he returned with several towels, “otherwise the flooding would have been much worse.” He tossed a towel at Blair and then spread the others on the floor to soak up the water.

 

“Yeah,” Blair said as he towel dried his hair, “what did you come by for anyway?”

 

H looked down at the floor. “Well…”

 

“What?” Jim asked, Henri’s tone seemed… ominous.

 

H shrugged as he met their eyes. “I just happened to be driving by when this… um… uh… ram… ran across the road in front of me and into your building.”

 

“A what?” Jim asked.

 

“You know,” H replied with a sigh, “a mountain goat, a Bighorn.” He raised his hands briefly in defeat. “You two are the only people I know that have regular dealings with wild animals. I just figured the ram was one of them.” He trailed off not knowing what else to say.

 

Blair chuckled and went over to wrap his arm around H’s shoulders. “H, my man, I do believe you just saw your animal spirit guide.” He looked at Jim who just smiled and shrugged.

 

“Spirit guide?” H asked. “Why would I need a spirit guide? And why would it choose now to manifest? I mean, this was hardly a life or death situation.”

 

Jim and Blair exchanged another glance then looked back at Henri.

 

“I think,” Blair said slowly.

 

“Yeah?” H insisted.

 

“Well, maybe your guide has your sense of humor,” Blair finished slyly.

 

Henri stared at his two serious-faced friends in disbelief.

 

After a long moment Jim and Blair lost control and started to laugh.

 

“If you two are finished,” H said, his tone long-suffering, “I still don’t know why I’d need a spirit guide. Let alone a sheep.”

 

Blair took pity on his friend. “Don’t worry about it too much H, most people have spirit guides. It’s just that very few know about them or ever see them. Think of it as an honor that your guide chose to show himself.”

 

 “I may have to agree with Simon on this one,” H sighed with a shake of his head.

 

“About what?” Jim asked.

 

“Well, he always used to say he’d rather not know,” Henri shrugged. “Once he finally accepted the whole Sentinel/Guide thing, he was stuck, no turning back. It’s a case of ‘ignorance is bliss.’”

 

Blair grinned. “The only problem with ignorance is that it can bite you in the butt when you least expect it.”

 

“Yeah, but now I’m going to be worrying about when that wooly beast will show up the next time and what it will mean when it does,” H replied.

 

Jim dropped his arm around Henri’s shoulder. “It’s not that bad H. I wouldn’t worry about it. You probably won’t ever see it again.”

 

“You’re probably right,” H agreed hesitantly. “Look, if you guys have everything under control here, I’m gonna head out.”

 

“Okay, H,” Jim said. “See you tomorrow.”

 

“Yeah,” Blair said. “And thanks again for the help.”

 

H wave off the thanks and headed out the door. He kept checking over his shoulder as he walked through the lobby and across the parking lot. He just knew he’d see that ram, but it didn’t show up. Henri climbed into his car and shrugged as he started it. I must be losing it.

 

He pulled out onto the street and heard a loud thump. Did I run over something? H slowed almost to a stop as he checked his mirrors. Nothing was visible on the street behind him and the car seemed to be driving okay. He shrugged again and sped back up to the speed limit.

 

From the balcony of apartment 307, a black jaguar and a wolf watched the car drive away with a Bighorn Sheep balanced easily on top.

 

The end

 

 

Enjoy it? Please let me know. Feedback is appreciated. Judy

 

Back

webhosting
webhosting