A Capital Idea

By JudyL

November 20, 2003

 

Okay, I think this will fit the bill for the SA November Themefic. H/C, smarm, in the loft. Hope this is what the doctor ordered, Carole. <g>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blair sat on his bed reading a textbook for one of his classes. Jim was making dinner tonight so that the student could catch up on his studying. The last few weeks had been hectic for the detective and his unofficial partner keeping them out late and sending them to bed exhausted.

Tonight Blair would study for the exam he had tomorrow and then as soon as Jim was done at work, they were taking off for a weekend of peaceful fishing. Barring any unforeseen hostage situations, terrorist acts or poachers.

"Shit!" Blair heard from the kitchen followed by the sound of something hitting the counter and then another crash as it hit the floor.

A muted cough had him rising off the bed and heading for the other room.

"…blair!" Jim cried faintly.

Blair sped into the kitchen, slipping to a stop in his socked feet as he took in the scene before him. Jim stood hunched over the sink, the water running. His shoulders shuddered with each breath. Cayenne pepper powdered the counter and floor where the spilled bottle lay. The smell was strong in Blair's nose he couldn't imagine how it was for Jim.

The Guide moved quickly to his Sentinel. "Easy Jim. Let me help you," he said wetting a wash rag and gently wiping Jim's face.

"…can't… breath…" Jim gasped raising his head slightly.

Blair gasped at the sight of his friend. His eyes were swollen and red. Tears streaked his splotchy cheeks as Jim drew in a ragged breath. Blair smothered his fear and guided Jim over to the couch away from the pepper.

"Okay, Jim. It's okay. Just take slow, shallow breaths. I'm gonna get some things, I'll be right back." He ran to the bathroom and grabbed the items he needed. "I'm coming, Jim. Just stay calm. You'll be fine." With his arms full of supplies, Blair raced back to his Sentinel's side.

"All right, big guy. First I need you to blow your nose and clear your sinuses of any pepper that may be irritating them." He handed Jim a couple of tissues and nodded as Jim did as he was instructed. "Good. Now, lean your head back, I'm going to put this wet towel over your face, just breathe the moisture will help soothe your sinuses. That's it. Good."

Blair grabbed the eyewash and another towel. "Jim, I'm going to flush your eyes. It's just a saline rinse. We need to get the pepper out of your eyes." He folded the wet towel down, keeping it over Jim's nose and mouth. "Here we go," Blair said gently lifting one eyelid and irrigating the eye. He repeated the treatment on Jim's other eye and took stock of his friend.

Jim was breathing easier. "How you doing, buddy?"

The Sentinel nodded. "Better," he whispered hoarsely.

"Great," Blair said encouraged. "I'm going to change the towel, keep your breathing slow and easy."

After about ten minutes, Jim lifted his head with a sigh and removed the towel. His face was still a bit red in areas and his eyes were puffy, but over all, Blair thought he looked much better.

"Doing okay now, Jim?" he asked concerned.

"Yeah, Chief," Jim replied sheepishly. "Thanks."

"No problem. Uh, what happened?"

Jim shook his head. "It was just a stupid accident. I was reaching for the salt to refill the shaker and bumped the bottle of cayenne pepper. It hit the counter and I tried to catch it, but the lid was loose and it went flying everywhere." He flung his hands to demonstrate.

Blair chuckled. "I'm just glad it wasn't serious. You had me scared there for a while."

"Really?" Jim asked amazed. "You didn't seem scared. In fact, you were very calm and in control, that's why it was so easy for me to relax."

Blair lifted his eyebrows, not quite sure what to say. He thought back over his feelings and actions and realized that after his initial spurt of fear, he had gotten control and focused on the business at hand. "Must be a Guide thing," he shrugged.

Jim's lips quirked into a grin. "A Guide thing?"

Sandburg rolled his eyes. "Well, if you can have Sentinel things, then I can have Guide things, okay?"

"Sure, Chief. Whatever you say," Jim said grinning.

Blair tossed his hands up in mock defeat and exasperation as he stood. "Are you going to finish cooking dinner now?"

Jim smirked. "Yeah, I guess so."

"Good," Blair replied with a grin, extending his hand to help the older man to his feet. "I'll clean up the pepper while you take a quick shower and changed clothes. Then you can finish making dinner. Okay?"

Jim rolled his eyes, but followed his Guide's instructions.

When he stepped out of the bathroom some time later, Jim could smell dinner on the stove.

He moved into the kitchen running a hand through his damp hair. "Hey, Chief. I thought I was supposed to cook tonight."

Blair waved the spoon he was using on the spaghetti sauce in a dismissing manner, somehow managing not to splatter sauce all over the kitchen. "No sweat, man. I've just been reading while I started things. It's not like I've never studied and cooked at the same time before," he stuck the spoon back into the sauce and stirred randomly as he continued to read.

Jim shook his head fondly and went over to his friend. He gently took the spoon out of Blair's hand and guided the young man over to the table. Jim made it all the way back to the stove before Blair looked up and grunted with surprise to find himself in a new location.

Ellison laughed at the expression on Blair's face.

His Guide grinned back at him. "Thanks, Jim."

"Just read, Junior. When you find an empty plate in front of you later, just tell me it was delicious."

Blair laughed and went back to reading.

He looked up from his book later and noticed three things. A fork in his hand, a plate that although quite empty showed recent signs of having housed a helping of spaghetti and meatballs, and last but not least a very amused Sentinel watching him from across the table.

"What?" Blair asked unable to keep from mirroring Jim's grin.

"I'm waiting."

Blair looked at his plate then back up at Jim. "It was delicious?"

Jim started to chuckle and Blair joined him.

"Are you all right, Jim?" Blair was finally able to ask.

"Yeah. Everything's fine Blair. Thanks to you."

Blair waved a hand, dismissing the compliment.

Jim caught his hand midair and held onto it. "I'm serious, Blair. Thank you for helping me."

"What was I supposed to do, Jim? Let you suffer?" he asked embarrassed.

"I'm not just talking about tonight, Chief." Jim shrugged and took a deep breath. He continued a little softer. "I don't say thank you often enough. And I hardly ever tell you how glad I am that you're my friend as well as my Guide." He held up his other hand to forestall another interruption.

"I think you tend to think of yourself as my guide, with a little "g," as if anyone could do it. But I'll tell you Chief, I think of you as my Guide, with a capital "G" in bold letters. And I just realized tonight that my Friend, with a capital "F" needed to hear that."

Blair watched Jim as he spoke with a shy smile on his face. "Guide with a capital "G," huh?" he repeated. Jim nodded. The Guide smiled broadly. "Well that's cool, 'cause I've always thought of you as my Sentinel, with a capital "S," not to be confused with the "S" in superman though. My Sentinel has it all over Superman."

Jim snorted and chuckled. Blair might make light of the issue, but at least he seemed to understand that Jim meant what he said.

"Thanks, my Friend," Blair said more seriously and Jim could hear the capital "F."

"Thank you, my Friend," Jim replied giving Blair's hand a squeeze.

Finis.

 

Comments are always welcome, please let me know what you think. Judy

Back