24November 24

By CherylR

November 3, 2004

This is in response to Crowswork's SA November Themefic. Her request: I want to read about the WORST day in Jim (and) or Blair's Life - ala 24. You can (if you want to make yourself suffer so much that Mel Gibson will want to film it) do this: Hour 1: Hour 2: right on through Hour 24: (This is very hard and it will give you great empathy for the writers of 24.) The sane among you can just write a story, a drabble and poem or even a limerick. Points for keeping it TO ONE DAY. Points for keeping it real. Points for owies. Points for original threat or villain. Many Points for a reasonably happy ending. X-overs, AUs, pastfic, copfic, humor even death stories... all ok

Well, here you go… Enjoy. Thanks always to Judy for giving my stories a home and for fixing my errors. Any left are mine, heck it's about the only thing I can claim.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

12pm the loft

Oh My God! I am so going to kill Jim! How could he have done this to me? Doesn't he know that it takes a lot of time… Argh! He is such a man. Not that I'm not... Don't get me wrong, I'm just as manly as the next guy. It's just that I'm a much better cook than Jim is. Not to mention that I have the time since I'm on break for the holidays and Jim had to be in court today. Who has court on the day before Thanksgiving? That so doesn't make sense. Any way, I don't have time for this. No time to panic. I have to make a list. I am so going to kill Jim!

1pm the store

I know Mrs. Michaels, I know. I can't expect you to still have all of your 'nice fresh organic' produce still available at this late a date. I'm not even hoping for a free-range turkey, at this point I'm just hoping that you still have a few not frozen. I so don't have time to thaw them out. I'm on a deadline here.

2pm the loft

Groceries put away… check. Kitchen clean… check. Hair pulled back out of the way… check. Deep breath… check. I am calm. I am calm. I am going to kill Jim. I am calm. Okay, step one start making the stuffing. It really needs to sit overnight to have the best flavor.

3pm the store

Damnit, how could I have forgotten the onion? Is there anything else I'm missing while I here? Whipped topping! I can't serve the pies without whipped topping. These are cops! They'll shoot first and laugh over the donuts later.

4pm the loft

Okay. Deep breath, stuffing made… check. Whipped topping thawing out in the fridge… check. On to the sweet potato casserole.

5pm the loft

How did that get in my hair? Sweet potato casserole… check. Green bean casserole… check. Cranberries… cooling… check. Oh no! I can't believe it. This is not my day. I forgot the rolls. Sigh. Damn, do we have enough flour? I'll just make the freaking rolls. I'm not going back to the store!

6pm the store

Hi Mrs. Michaels, yes the weather is turning a bit cold isn't it? Rolls. Stay on track. Just get the rolls and get out. Might as well pick up some flour and butter while I'm here.

7pm the loft

Rolls… check. Deep breath. I am so going to kill Jim. What next? Okay, let's start on the pies. Pumpkin, Cherry, Chess, Apple, and Chocolate… that ought to give everyone something to choose from. Hmm, better make some cookies too.

8pm the loft

Hi Jim, glad that you're home. What do you mean, what's for dinner? You can run but you can't hide!

9pm a Chinese restaurant

Thanks, big guy! I really needed the break. I think my blood sugar was a little low, 'cause I'm feeling much better now. I know, I know you wouldn't normally do this to me. I understand that the guy who was going to do it this year came down with a case of food poisoning. No, I agree. I don't think I'd trust him with serving Thanksgiving dinner to the on duty guys either. No, I told you I didn't mind… it's just… I would really like more time next time. Okay? We better get home. There's still a lot to do.

10pm the loft

Yeah, if you would just peel the apples that would be a big help. I'm going to run downstairs and stick this turkey in Mrs. Jenkins oven. I'll be right back. And Jim… stay out of the cookie dough. I'll know if any of it is missing.

11pm the loft

Turkey one and two in the oven… check. Man, I'm glad that Mrs. Z finally came home from her bingo game. Cookies done… check. Jim, I'm not going to tell you again. Those cookies are for tomorrow. If you don't leave them alone there will be no pie for you tomorrow. Come here and chop veggies for the tray. You can have a carrot if you're good. Don't try those puppy dog eyes on me, my man. I know that I'm at least a dozen cookies short. You have had plenty.

12am the loft

How does your finger feel? Well, make sure to keep the ointment on it. It should feel better in the morning. Jim, go to bed. We had that stake out last night. I was taking a nap before you called so I'm good for a few more hours. We are going to have a lot of people here tomorrow. I don't want to worry about you zoning on me because you didn't get enough sleep.

1am the loft

Yawn. Pies… check. Veggie tray… check. Yawn. Put in the turkey… check. What next? Sigh. I need to sit down for a minute. Oh man, my legs are tired. What's nex…. Zzzzz

2am the loft

(snore)

3 am the loft

(snore)

4am the loft

Umm, turkey's starting to smell good. Oh My God! The turkey! I fell asleep! Where's my list? My brain's fuzzy. I need a shower.

5am the loft

Thanks Mrs. Jenkins. I really appreciate you letting me cook the turkeys in your oven. Don't forget to come get some food this afternoon. I'll be back to get this turkey when it's done.

6am the loft

No problem Mrs. Z. it's the least we can do after you let me take over your oven like that. I'm sure the guys would love to try your mulled cider. Just make sure it's the non-alcoholic version. Most of these guys will be on duty. Thanks. See you in a bit. Now don't you try to bring that turkey up the stairs. I'll send Jim down for it. Nope, I've got this one, if you'll just get the door for me. Thanks again.

7am the loft

Stuffing in the oven… check. Let's see. What's left on the list? The corn casserole! How could I have forgotten the corn casserole?

8am the loft

Hey Jim, did you sleep okay? Good, good. Go take a shower and I'll put you to work. You can start carving the first two turkeys. I'll go back and get the other two when they are done. We can warm these back up as it gets closer to time.

9am the store

How could I have forgotten the paper plates and utensils? What are they going to do eat with their fingers off of their hands? That might work for poker night with the guys but not Thanksgiving dinner for the entire on duty police force.

10am the loft

Check the stuffing… check. Oh God, now I'm getting loopy. Jim, that was not nice. Just for that, I'm not telling you which stuffing has the sage in it. Go down and check with Mrs. Jenkins and Mrs. Z. and see how the other turkeys are doing. Where was I? Oh, right, the stuffing… check. The corn casserole… check. The rolls… need to wait a bit on those. Time to put the sweet potatoes in. I am calm. I am calm. I am calm.

11am the loft

No, not yet Jim. You are supposed to let the turkey rest for a bit before you carve it. No, it doesn't need a bed time story. You are… argh! Jim, please go and get the other turkey. Thank you. Not. Yes, Jim I know you heard that. Get the bird before I shoot you the bird. Where are the napkins? I know that I bought napkins. Where are they hiding? I am calm. I am calm. Damn, forgot to put the rolls in. Okay, deep breath. Show time. Hi, Happy Thanksgiving. Glad you could come. Grab a plate and help yourself.

The end.

~~~~~~~

Okay, don't forget that feedback is always welcome. For this story you need to give 24 hours worth<G>… just kidding (all right, Cheryl, I'll stop adding stuff to your stories… <VBEG>) E-mail Cheryl

Back